13. Lovebites

Minji's POV:

Here I am, sitting on one of the couches in our apartment, playing with the ring on my index finger, thinking about how I could say this in the least surprising manner. My mother is sitting on the couch in front of me, patiently waiting for me to tell her the reason why I wanted to talk. I want to talk to her about me and Hanni, and I'm not sure what her reaction will be, knowing what happened with my last girlfriend.

"Minji honey, we have been sitting in silence for the past five minutes, say something," Mom said while looking at me.

"I have a girlfriend," I blurted out, I think I said it too fast.

"What?" Mom looked surprised.

"I said that I have a girlfriend, I'm dating someone," I said, slowly this time.

"Is that what you wanted to tell me?"

"Yes?" I said.

"Well, don't mess this one up, and I'd love to meet her. Invite her for dinner someday," Mom said as she got up and walked back to the kitchen. Well, that was easy.

My phone started ringing on my lap, and I looked down to see the caller's name, and my mood instantly brightened. Hanni was calling me. It has been three days since me and Hanni made things official, but we haven't had time to go on dates or see each other that often. I wish that can change soon. I rushed back to my room and closed the door behind me. I cleared my throat and answered the phone call.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey girlfriend," Hanni spoke softly over the phone.

"Wow, now you're going to be calling me like that?"

"Why, you don't like it, girlfriend?" Hanni asked, with a light chuckle.

"I don't mind, but I prefer being called Min," I said, making Hanni laugh, a sound I'd be willing to listen to on loop for the rest of my life.

"I used to find these things cheesy, but for some reason, it feels right with you," Hanni said. I walked over to my bed and sat down.

"I miss you," I said.

"You see me every day," Hanni replied.

"Only during math class and lunch, which isn't enough," I said. And yes, it wasn't enough. I want to spend an entire day with her.

"Yeah? Well, look out from your balcony, Min," Hanni said. I instantly got up from the bed and made my way over to the balcony. I looked down to see Hanni leaning against her car, looking up at me with her phone at her ear.

"What are you doing here, Han?" I said into the phone.

"I missed you too, now come down," she replied. Wait, I couldn't go down looking like this.

"Hanni Pham, there is no way I'm coming downstairs in my pajamas. You come upstairs," I said.

"But that means I'll have to meet your mom, and she'll probably think I'm weird for showing up at your house at ten o'clock," Hanni said, still looking up at me.

"It's okay, she won't just take the elevator and come up. The apartment number is 103," I said, and Hanni just sighed before giving me a nod and walking toward the entrance of the building. Once she was out of sight, I ran back into my room to clean up the little mess there was and to make myself look presentable. I looked pretty decent in my black silk pajamas, to be honest.

"Minji, your friend is here!" mom yelled from outside. I walked outside to see an awkward Hanni standing at the door. When she noticed me, her face went from nervous to calm.