Chapter 16 - The Agony of a Country from Another World

I was just digesting a stack of games and before I knew it, it was February.

- Ishiwara

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 30 Month 4 Year 1642 Central Calendar

The captured Gra Valkan ships are brought from Cartalpas by the Japanese fleet. On the same day, information on the Eastern Expeditionary Fleet's liaison plane is brought to Gra Valkan mainland.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 5 Month 5 Year 1642 Central Calendar

Despite being midday, Ragna was shrouded in darkness due to heavy rain and constant emissions of soot from factories. The Imperial Palace, the heart of it all, maintained its brightness through electricity as a symbol of modern civilization. However, the air inside was as dark as the sky outside.

"Report the details of the matter," Emperor Gra Lux growled as he scanned his gathered subordinates.

"Y-yes, Your Majesty. Let me begin the report," Xand Pastal responded.

The Gra Valkas Empire conducted military operations with the aim of conquering the entire world. In pursuit of more efficient conquest, they launched an attack on Cartalpas during this gathering of major world powers. However, they suddenly lost contact with the Eastern Expeditionary Fleet dispatched for the assault. The entire military fell into chaos wondering what had happened. It was only after several days that reports came through a liaison plane.

The report detailed the Eastern Expeditionary Fleet's complete destruction and the events leading up to it. The failure of the first step of their full-scale conquest had significant repercussions, leading immediately to a council meeting.

"That concludes the report from Commander Alkaid."

BAM!

As Xand Pastal finished speaking, there was a sound of the table being struck.

"What idiocy is this, are you underestimating the enemy's strength!? Our nation has already declared war and antagonized the entire world! Do you think an apology for underestimating the enemy's strength will suffice now!? To commit such a blunder in a situation concerning the survival of our nation, is the military slacking off!?"

The one yelling was Kurtz, the Office of the Sovereign's leader.

"The military is not slacking off. Doesn't the Office of the Sovereign remember? You've deemed everything in this world unworthy and have been urging invasions everywhere."

Not only the Office of the Sovereign, but since the incident with Leifor, there was a widespread perception that "this world is significantly behind the old one," and many people think that they should quickly send their armies and conquer it. Especially since the Office of the Sovereign held much greater influence than other governmental bodies, its pressure couldn't be ignored by the military.

"Fine... then tell me, what kind of magic did the enemy use to repel our forces?"

Prompted to continue, Xand Pastal schooled his expression and posture.

"According to Commander Alkaid, the attack that decimated the Eastern Expeditionary Fleet was presumed to be of Mirishial make."

"On what grounds? Both Mu and Japan would have been considered potential adversaries, wouldn't they?"

"The basis lies in the technological levels of both countries. Given that both nations utilize the same technological system as ours, it's possible to fairly accurately gauge the level of weaponry they possess. Even if they were to possess weapons surpassing our expectations, it's believed that the damage inflicted would not be enough to annihilate the Eastern Expeditionary Fleet to such an extent. This conclusion is drawn by Commander Alkaid, and the military shares the same view."