Chapter 22

Summary:

Angst

Diana felt herself being released by the terrorists. That was different from the other times.

Then she realized Charles was there.

"Charles?"

She wanted to run to him, but she couldn't because of the guns pointed at her.

The prince stepped forward towards her, cupping her face in his soft hands.

"I'm here darling. I'm here to rescue you."

Charles then turned to the gunmen.

"Let her go, or else-"

The leader of them smiled wickedly.

"This is peerfect. Both the Princess and the Prince in the same place."

Then without warning, the biggest aimed his gun at Diana's head.

"Charles... I love you... don't ever forget m-"

Charles quickly shoved her away, shielding her with his own body.

The man rotated his gun, so it was still pointing at the Princess's head. His finger inches closer to the trigger.

In a split second, Diana was shoved to the ground by Charles, who stood over her protectively.

Bang .

"CHARLES!"

Diana watched in absolute horror as her husband fell to the ground, bleeding from his head. The gunmen exchanged looks and walked away, leaving Diana with her dying husband.

"Charles. Please. Stay with me..."

Charles coughed up blood.

"D-Diana. Take care of our boys for me. I love you..."

With that, he kissed her one last time, then closed his eyes and went still.

Diana woke up in a cold sweat, screaming. She turned, relieved to see Charles next to her. His eyes opened, concerned at her scream.

"Darling, are you alright?"

Diana shook her head, before leaping into his arms.

"Charles... I had a terrible dream... y-you... you died..."

Charles tightened his grip on her.

"Shh... it's alright. I'm here. I'm alive."

Diana took in a shaky breath.

"I know... but ever since Phillip's death... I've... the nightmares... they've been getting even worse than they were already..."

Charles gave her a thoughtful look before smiling at her.

"How about tomorrow night, we try and sleep outside. We can make s'mores, cuddle, stargaze, maybe some other things..."

Despite her fear, Diana couldn't hold back a snort of laughter.

"Charles, if you want to make love with me, you could've just said that."

Charles blushed slightly, smiling at his wife.

"Alright darling. Pack pajamas, some snacks and your sleeping bag for tomorrow night"

Diana laughed once again

"I can't wait dear"