chapter fifteen

- present day -

"You haven't even touched your food". Chris observed his best friend. Ryujin released a deep sigh and picked up her chopsticks. As great as the food looked, she couldn't stomach it.

She found herself waking up in her car. She thanked herself for not attempting to drive home blind drunk. Chaeryoung wanted to refuse serving her because she almost finished the bottle of whisky. The hangover she was experiencing was like no other.

"No offence Ryujin but you look and smell like shit. Is everything okay?". Chris asked with a concerned look on his face. Ryujin closed her eyes and let out a laugh.

Ryujin went straight to Sana's restaurant after waking up. She needed to be with Chris. She could have at least showered and changed before going but she didn't feel like it.

"I don't know what to do anymore. I think I've fucked up. I know I tend to make stupid decisions but this time I was confident. I can't get her out of my head". Ryujin complained.

"Yeji?". He asked and Ryujin nodded.

"We kind of fucked the other night. She kind of has a boyfriend". Ryujin tried to explain with her eyes squinted.

"You guys finally did it?". Chris asked amused and Ryujin gave him one of her deathly glares.

"I know that you love her. I chased after Sana for ages until she finally agreed to go out with me. If you're done chasing you should let go". Chris gave her a reassuring squeeze on her forearm.

If you're done chasing you should let go.

"This might cheer you up. I asked Takanashi if we could stop our duties at the strip club. I know how much you hate it there". Chris told her with a smile.

"Really? What did he say?". Ryujin questioned.

"He thinks it's time for us to handle other jobs. We won't be little errand boys anymore". Chris laughed.

Chris was somehow right. It did cheer her up but only a little bit. Moving up in ranks in a triad is a big deal. It's kind of like a job promotion. Her heart and mind has always been in it yet felt more determined. No more distractions.

She arrived back to her small apartment and noticed a piece of paper sticking out under her front door. She unlocked the door and grabbed the paper.

It read: 'Watch yourself. I'm watching you.'.

Ryujin didn't recognise the hand writing. It was a threat. She couldn't pin point who would have dropped off this note. She took a shower and scrubbed off all the negative thoughts that consumed her the previous night.

She spent the majority of the day lying down in her bed and she stared blankly at her ceiling. Ryujin didn't care too much about having a lot of money but it would be nice to buy a house someday. A place that didn't have cracks or mould growing on the ceiling.

She was disappointed that Yeji didn't make an effort to contact her. Ryujin assumed that Yeji wasn't aware that Sunwoo answered the phone. She started to overthink her own feelings she had for her. Did what she felt feel like love? Or did it feel like infatuation? Obsession? Was she crossing boundaries? Ryujin didn't know.

She turned to her side to see the sun setting. She lost track of time while she was being stuck in her head. She threw on one of her white button up shirts.

"For fuck sake". Ryujin sighed when she saw a blood stain on the shirt. She forgot to take some of her clothes to the dry cleaner.

She threw on another one. Same story but this time it had a different stain on it. Tea. She couldn't escape Yeji if she wanted to.