chapter sixteen

- 16th of February 2018 -

"There's that old guy again". Chris looked behind Ryujin. She looked back to see the guy. He was sitting on a park bench watching them with two guys standing either side of him.

"Why does he keep looking at us?". Ryujin questioned. She felt like she had met him before but wasn't certain. Maybe he just had one of those faces.

"I'm gonna say something". Ryujin threw off her backpack and stormed her way to the man.

"Ryujin! Wait!". Chris tried to catch up to her but almost tripped on her bag.

"Can I help with you something?". Ryujin snapped at the man. The two men accompanying him stood in front of him.

"It's okay". He told the men. They looked at each other before moving out of Ryujin's way.

"You can actually". The man smiled.

"What?". Ryujin questioned feeling caught off guard.

"The both of you. You can help me and I can help you". The man looked at Chris and back to Ryujin.

"Ryujin we should just go". Chris whispered.

"How can you help us?". Ryujin crossed her arms.

The man chuckled.

"You don't know who I am?". He asked and Ryujin shook her head.

"Have you heard of the Yakuza?". He then asked. Chris grabbed on to Ryujin's arm and tugged at it.

"Dude, seriously. Let's go". Chris begged. Ryujin stood still. She was intrigued.

"Are you like a leader or something? Or do you just pretend to be one so you can watch young kids run around?". Ryujin asked and she saw Chris hide his face through her peripheral.

"You're a funny one". The man laughed.

"If you need work, come to me. I've seen how you fight and it's impressive. You have it in your blood". The man explained.

"What's in it for me?". Ryujin asked still feeling skeptical.

"Money. Protection. You name it. It's yours". Ryujin looked at Chris and he sighed.

"Here's my details". The man handed Ryujin a business card.

"Come meet when you're ready". He grabbed his cane and slowly stood up.

Ryujin and Chris watched him walk away.

"This is cool". Ryujin held up the card.

"You're not seriously considering it". Chris squinted his eyes at her.

"Why not? I think I know who he is. I think my dad worked for him". Ryujin explained.

"Your dad worked at a fishing dock". Chris scoffed. Ryujin rolled her eyes and shoved him.

"No you idiot. That guy owned it". Ryujin clarified.

"Oh...". Chris said with raised eyebrows.

"Yeah". Ryujin sighed and put the card in her school jacket.