Chapter 38: Plead and Hope: In Determination To Find My Beloved

Maxim glanced up from his desk as the chief detective approached, a smile lighting up his face. "Morning, Maxim," he greeted warmly. "I'd like you to meet your temporary partner, Detective Darnell Sherwood. Luna's absence leaves a gap, and we need all hands on deck to find her."

Maxim extended his hand to Darnell, a sense of camaraderie already forming. "Nice to meet you, Darnell," he said, his tone friendly yet determined. "Let's give it our all to find Luna, alright?"

Darnell returned the handshake with a firm grip. "Absolutely, Maxim. Count me in."

Their boss nodded approvingly. "Good. With both of your expertise, I'm confident we'll crack this case wide open."

As they gathered their belongings and prepared to head out, Maxim felt a surge of gratitude for his new partner. "Thanks for joining me on this, Darnell. Let's make Luna proud."

Darnell flashed him a determined smile. "You can count on me, Maxim. Together, we'll bring her home."

With a shared sense of purpose, Maxim and Darnell set out to unravel the mystery of Luna McKelly's disappearance, their determination unwavering as they faced the challenges ahead.

________

Maxim's phone buzzed with a text from his mother as he finished up at work. His heart skipped a beat as he read her message: "Luna's family is at our house. Please come home soon."

Without hesitation, Maxim gathered his belongings and rushed out of the office. The urgency in his mother's text spurred him into action, his mind consumed by thoughts of Luna and her distraught family.

Arriving at his house, Maxim hurried to the door and rang the bell. It was Luna's father, Arthur Dornan, who greeted him, his expression etched with worry.

"Come in, Maxim," Arthur said, his voice heavy with concern.

Maxim entered the house and was met with the sight of Luna's mother, Catleya, sitting on the couch, her eyes red from crying.

"Maxim, find my daughter, find her," Catleya pleaded, her voice trembling with emotion.

Maxim approached her, his own heart aching at the sight of her pain. "I will find her, Tita," he assured her, his voice filled with determination. "I know that I will."

Shanaia, Luna's younger sister, spoke up from across the room. "I know, Mom and Dad, that Luna is in good hands," she said, her voice wavering slightly.

Kies, Luna's younger brother, nodded in agreement. "Let's hope for that, Shanaia," he said quietly.

Maxim placed a comforting hand on Catleya's shoulder. "I will do my best, okay? Don't worry, I'm here."

Arthur, Luna's father, spoke up, his voice thick with emotion. "Thank you for your determination, Maxim."

Catleya looked up at Maxim, her eyes filled with gratitude. "Thank you," she whispered.

With a renewed sense of purpose, Maxim vowed to do everything in his power to find Luna and bring her back to her family. Nothing would stand in his way-not even the darkest of shadows that threatened to engulf them all.

________

As Kelsey continued to tidy her room, her thoughts drifted incessantly to her missing best friend, Luna. With each brush stroke and every item neatly placed on the table, her mind remained fixated on Luna's whereabouts.

Sensing her wife's distress, Dom Kennedy approached her with concern etched on his face. "Are you okay?" he inquired softly.

Kelsey let out a heavy sigh, her frustration evident. "Nope, I'm always thinking about Luna and where she could be."

Dom gently placed a hand on her shoulder, offering his reassurance. "Darling, don't worry. Maxim is doing everything he can to find Luna, and we're here to support him in any way we can."

Kelsey nodded, but the worry still lingered in her eyes. "I know, but it's hard not to feel anxious when someone you care about is missing."

Understanding her turmoil, Dom spoke soothingly. "I know, and I understand how much Luna means to you."

Kelsey's voice trembled slightly as she spoke again. "Luna is my best friend, Dom. I can't help but worry about her."

Dom pulled her into a comforting embrace, his arms offering solace. "Don't worry, darling. We'll get through this together."

With a tender kiss on her forehead, Dom reassured Kelsey of his unwavering support, their bond stronger than ever in the face of uncertainty.

________

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a tranquil glow over the ocean, two shadowy figures stood on the shore, their voices hushed in conversation.

"So, what now?" the first man queried, his tone tinged with uncertainty.

His companion glanced around warily before responding. "We need to halt our plan involving Maxim for the time being."

"And make the situation calm?" the first man pressed, seeking clarification.

"Yeah, that's true," the friend affirmed, nodding in agreement.

The first man's brow furrowed in thought. "We mustn't speak to anyone about this."

"I know, but pay me first," the friend insisted, his gaze unwavering.

The first man's lips curved into a sardonic smile. "And what's the reason I wouldn't pay you?"

His companion remained steadfast. "And if the situation stabilizes, what's your plan?"

A flicker of determination sparked in the first man's eyes. "Let's continue our plan involving Maxim so that the company will be ours."

With their clandestine discussion concluded, the two men vanished into the darkness, their intentions veiled in secrecy as they plotted their next move.