Chapter 61

Jason's POV

The morning sun filtered through the curtains, casting a soft glow in the room as I stirred from my sleep. Before I could fully register the day ahead, Lucas burst in, a wide grin plastered across his face, bearing a cake like a herald of festivities.

"Happy Birthday, my dear friend," he announced with infectious enthusiasm, holding out the cake as if it held the key to all joy.

I couldn't muster the same excitement. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I sat up, feeling the weight of impending doom settling over me like a heavy blanket. "Come on, blow out your candle," Lucas insisted, his optimism a stark contrast to my sombre mood.

"I'm not in the mood for any of this," I sighed, my voice heavy with resignation. "Did you even go home last night?" I asked, noting his dishevelled appearance.

Lucas waved off my concern. "Of course, I did. Hazel and I wanted to surprise you early," he explained, his eyes gleaming with excitement.

"Thank you, but you shouldn't have. There's nothing to celebrate," I murmured, a sense of foreboding creeping into my thoughts. "In just a few hours, my life will be destroyed."

Lucas's expression softened, his gaze meeting mine with unwavering determination. "You know you have the power to change everything. It's all up to you. So don't act like the victim here," he urged, his words cutting through the haze of despair.

I stood up, my mind swirling with conflicting emotions as I walked into the bathroom. The running water provided a brief respite from the chaos inside my head, but as I emerged, fully dressed, I still felt the weight of uncertainty pressing down on me.

Lucas, wearing a perplexed expression, looked at me quizzically. "The party's not until the evening. Why are you dressed?" Lucas questioned, breaking the heavy silence.

"I'm going for a ride," I replied, grabbing my keys with a sense of urgency.

"Why?" Lucas pressed, his confusion evident.

"I need to clear my head," I confessed, a bitter smile tugging at my lips.

"Are you coming?" I asked, a flicker of hope igniting within me.

Lucas nodded, dropping the cake on the table. We made our way out the door, but before leaving, I turned back and blew out the candle, silently making my wish.

"What did you wish for?" Lucas inquired as we settled into the car.

"It's for me to know, and for you never to find out," I replied cryptically, starting the engine and speeding out of the house.

---

"We should get back; it's already late, and your party must have started," Lucas repeated for what felt like the umpteenth time as we drove through the town. Rolling my eyes, I continued driving, ignoring his words.

"We've been driving for hours, Jason. We need to get back to the house," Lucas urged once again, his tone tinged with concern.

"Alright, relax. We'll head back soon. I just need to clear my head," I reassured him.

"I thought that is exactly what we have been doing for the past hours," Lucas let out, his voice tinged with frustration and concern.

His words cut through the haze of anger that clouded my mind, reminding me of the hours we had spent driving aimlessly, trying to outrun my demons. And yet, despite our efforts, the turmoil within me remained as potent as ever.

I drove speedily to the outskirts of town, stopping the car at an abandoned warehouse. Lucas looked at me with a mixture of disbelief and apprehension.

"What are we doing here, Jason? Please don't tell me it's what I'm thinking," he implored, his voice laced with worry.