Chapter 62

Jason's POV

I approached the bar, my steps heavy with the weight of my emotions. Snatching a bottle of whiskey, I wasted no time in uncapping it and taking a long swig, hoping to drown everything I was feeling in alcohol.

The burning sensation as the whiskey slid down my throat offered a brief respite from the turmoil raging within me. But even as I drank, I knew that no amount of alcohol could numb this feeling or silence the anger simmering just beneath the surface.

I was almost on my last gulp when Helena walked up to me, her presence a stark reminder of the life I was supposed to be living, the facade I was expected to maintain.

"My love, what is this?" she exclaimed, her voice tinged with concern. "Today is our big day, and you are covered in blood. Come on, go and get changed. The announcement will start soon."

Her words fell on deaf ears as I finished my drink and ordered another, my resolve unyielding. I could feel her frustration mounting as she pleaded with me to do as she asked, but I couldn't bring myself to care.

"Jason, I do not like this," she persisted, her tone growing more insistent. "Get up and go and get changed."

With a bitter laugh, I turned to her, the anger bubbling just beneath the surface. "What if I just put a bullet through your head?" I retorted, my words dripping with venom. "It would solve all of my problems, wouldn't it?"

The shock on her face was evident, but I felt no remorse for my words. At that moment, all I could feel was the overwhelming urge to lash out, to hurt someone, anyone, just to make the feeling stop.

"Would it be so bad to marry me?" Helena's words cut through the haze of my anger, her tone pleading, almost desperate. "From what I heard, you and Amara's marriage was arranged by your father as well, and you fell in love with her. So what is stopping you from doing the same for me?"

Her words filled me with a white-hot rage, the memory of Amara tarnished by the mere mention of Helena's name. How dare she compare herself to Amara, to even suggest that she was worthy of such a comparison?

"How dare you," I snarled, my fists clenched at my sides, ready to lash out. But before I could act on my impulse, my father's voice cut through the air like a whip.

"Don't you dare do that," he thundered, his presence looming over us like a dark cloud.

I turned to face him, the weight of his disappointment bearing down on me like a leaden cloak. "I can see you have chosen to disgrace me, Jason," he continued, his voice laced with disgust. "What is this? Did you have to handle business today?" his eyes trailed down to my blood-stained cloth.

'' I am here am I not, doing your bidding, just like I have always done,'' I let out a bitter smile on my lips.

'' I am tired of this childish behaviour, Go and get changed,'' my father ordered.

'' As you can see, I am busy,'' I let out, chugging down the bottle of whiskey.

My father looked at me with so much anger in his eyes that he picked up his phone and said, "Take the girl," My father's cold command sent a chill down my spine as his men moved towards Emily, their intentions unmistakable. Panic surged within me, my heart racing with fear and desperation.

"What are you doing, Dad?" I demanded, my voice trembling with apprehension.

"I have already told you what will happen if you do not do as I have said," he replied, his tone dripping with malice as he levelled a chilling gaze in my direction.

With a sigh of defeat, I realized that I had no choice. My father had made it clear that he would stop at nothing to get what he wanted, even if it meant using Emily as a pawn in his twisted game.

"Fine, I will go and get changed," I spat out, my words heavy with resentment. My father nodded curtly and signalled for his men to stand down.

"The announcement is in an hour, be ready," he instructed before turning and walking away.

I seethed with anger, the frustration boiling inside me threatening to consume me whole. In a fit of rage, I hurled a glass against the wall, the shattering sound echoing through the room. But even as heads turned in my direction, I couldn't bring myself to care.

I stormed out of the room, Helena trailing behind me. "So you are doing this for her, you're doing this for that lowlife nanny?" she spat, her tone dripping with disdain. "What is so special about her? Is it because she looks like your dead wife?"

Ignoring Helena's words, I walked away, leaving her behind as I made my way to my room. Reluctantly, I got changed, the weight of the evening's events heavy on my shoulders. As I adjusted my suit jacket in front of the mirror, my brother, Jace, unexpectedly walked in.

"With all that is going on, brother, I forgot to give you your birthday gift," he said, extending a box towards me.

"I don't want anything from you, Jace," I replied curtly, refusing to accept the gift.

"Just open it," he urged, a hint of insistence in his voice. Reluctantly, I turned around and accepted the box from him, opening it to reveal a gold gun, intricately engraved with my name.

"Why?" I asked, confusion evident in my voice. Jace simply chuckled, his expression unreadable as he watched me closely.

"I thought since you will never have love in your life, I decided to get you the only thing you will ever know," Jace's mocking tone cut through the air, his words like daggers aimed at my heart. His gaze drifted to the gun in my hands, and he continued with a sinister smirk, "Violence and death, my dear brother."

"Get out," I lashed out, the venom in my voice betraying the pain and anger that surged within me. But my brother only chuckled, his indifference fueling my rage.

"The truth hurts, but it cannot be denied," he taunted, his words striking at the core of my insecurities. "You will never have love in your life, Jason. Even our father does not love you. He is just using you to get ahead,'' the defender of the Russo clan''. That is all you are to him. And as for the nanny, I know you have feelings for her, but she will never feel the same way, dear brother. I do not know why you even bother. Is it because she looks like Amara? Oh, you think the universe has given you a second chance, to have the love of your life back?" His laughter echoed in the room.

"Let me tell you a secret," Jace whispered, his words dripping with malice. "Amara loved me, and only me, We were in a secret relationship, and soon, you will find out what I am really talking about. The evidence is right in front of you, but you are so blind not to see it."

His words cut through me like a knife, igniting a firestorm of fury within me. With a surge of rage, I lunged forward, my fist connecting with his face with a resounding thud. Jace stumbled backwards, falling to the ground, but I didn't stop there. The weight of his words fueled my blows, driving me to continue hitting him until I saw blood staining his skin, and even then, I couldn't bring myself to stop.

I pointed the gun he gifted me, to his face and if Lucas hadn't hauled me away, I would have pulled the trigger.

'What is wrong with you today, Jason?" he scolded me, his voice filled with concern and confusion.

Ignoring his words, I tore myself away from his grip and stormed out of the room, my mind consumed by a whirlwind of emotions. The echoes of Jace's words reverberated in my mind, haunting me.