Chapter 40

Asher's POV

Unable to control my frustration, I banged my fist on my office desk and let out a huff.

"What do you mean she put father unknown?" I asked as I looked at my lawyer, who sat in the chair with a frightened expression.

"When Miss Hult... I mean Mrs. Maker filled out the paperwork, she said she did not know who the father was." He played with his thumbs and did not look at me.

I put my face in my hands and asked, "Then how can I get my daughter back?"

It had taken me one year to relize that I wanted to be a father to my child. I was ready to take upon the responsibility. I was so dumb to wait though.

"Mr. Lockheart, please don't be mad. Your rights as a father are still intact. You never did sign anything. You can still get your daughter back. As for the father unknown part, you could always get a DNA paternity test to prove you're the father.

"I will admit it will take a lot of visits at the court and if Mrs. Maker does come to a conclusion that she indeed wants her child back, she could win the case and leave you with free visitation rights."

The information thrilled me to the core. There still was hope.

"But it also all depends on the judge holding the case and of course, if the new home of the child would be a stable one," he finished off.

I nodded at his words. It's a good thing I keep around a couple of judge friends. I need to call one of them.

"Thank you, Mark. Your visit today has been of great assistance. You can see yourself to the door."

When he'd gone out of view and the door had clicked closed, I reached for the telephone on my desk and dialed my secretary.

"How may I help you, Mr. Lockheart?"

"Jean, phone John Brooks for me and tell him to meet up with me for lunch today at my office. Also, order in some sandwiches from the local deli." I hung up the phone when I was done telling her what I wanted.

I looked around my office and raptured at the thought of having my daughter back in my hands.

I would fight with everything I had to offer.

Samantha's POV

I sat down on a nearby bench in the garden as I took in the immense beauty around me. Last nights events flashed before me, sending me into an epitome of confusion.

Devin was no longer Devin. He was a nicer version of himself that I couldn't fathom, but I think about what he could possibly want with me now that I wanted a divorce.

This morning, I called my lawyer to let her know I needed the legal documents for it. I was frustrated when she informed me it would take some weeks. If only it could be a faster process.

I looked up at the sun and closed my eyes.

I always seemed to find peace with the sky and it always becomes intruded.

"Mrs. Maker, you have a visitor." I looked up to find Rosa signaling to someone behind her. Someone oddly familiar who held a five o'clock shadow.

"Asher," I plainly said as I stood up before him.

"Hello, nice to see you too, Samantha." He smiled at me and stuck out his hand so I could shake it. I didn't and instead, I glared at him.

"Why are you here?" I asked while searching his face.

He looked over to Rosa who still stood next to him with a grim expression on her face. When he noticed she was not going to move he answered my undying question.

"I came here to talk to you about our da-"

"Rosa you may leave. Mr. Lockheart and I are just going to chat for a bit," I interrupted him knowing very well where his sentence was going.

Rosa nodded at me and left.

"We have nothing to talk about concerning her," I hissed at his face.

"Maybe you don't, but I do." He gave me his famous gleam which I must admit I used to love, but not anymore. This man standing in front of me was taunting me after what happened.

"Please, do go ahead and tell me what has granted me your presence today." I crossed my arms and arched a brow at him.

"I just wanted to tell you I'm going to get our daughter back." I stared at him for a moment. Was he playing a joke on me? How could he get our daughter back?

"I never signed any adoption papers, Samantha. Meaning I never gave up my rights as Bella's father," he said, answering my inner questions.

"But..." I stopped. He was right. He never signed anything, only I did. I was the only one that gave up her rights as a parent.

"But of course, if you want to fight for her with me you could also have her under your custody. Yet, why would you? You gave her up."

"It was never my choice to do that to her. I wanted to keep her." Dang it, tears were now starting to form in my eyes. I quickly blocked them away.

"What?" He asked, perplexed by my confession.

"My mother made me do it. I was hoping to tell you but when I was going to, you were no longer in the country."

He stayed silent for a bit. When he decided to talk, a person clearing their throat stopped him.

A/N

I would like to dedicate this chapter to acheairs for helping me out a whole lot. I wouldn't have been able to write this chapter without her help since she did indulge me with the knowledge on how everything works out when a father who didn't sign any adoption papers can get their child back. So again big thanks to her (: Go follow her.

I would also would like to thank thefireinourhearts for the lovely cover to the side. Go follow her and check out her wonderful books (:

Sorry if this took a while by the way. Oh and to some of my readers who are think this book is over it is not. Just wanted to make that clear to you all (:

OHHHHH MYYYY GOSHHHH!!!! Number 1 on chicklit!!!!!!! Thank you everyone who read, votes, and comments because it is all thank to you that LAFL is where it is.

Please vote and comment.

Bye (: