Chapter [3] That's Social Suicide

Chapter Three:

"Okay class, so what year did France and Austria sign a peace treaty?" Mr. Danforth asked.

Only a few hands went up. I couldn't answer this question even if I wanted too.

"How about you, Clyde?" My teacher pointed at Clyde who sat next to me. He was the first to have his hand raised.

"1738." He said confidently.

"Correct!" Mr. Danforth nodded.

Class went by really fast, we only did vobaulary flashcards with partners and luckily Skylor wasn't mine today.

When the bell rang, I exited the class and went to locker to put my things up before I go to lunch. Bonnie, Jonah, and I decided to sit outside and eat since it was bright out today.

"So, the weirdest thing happened in my English class this morning." I shook my head as I picked a strawberry out of my fruit salad and ate it.

"What? You failed another test." Jonah bluntly said.

Bonnie hit him.

"What? It's true isn't it?" Jonah stated.

"No, actually. Quite the opposite. I aced my test. Mrs. Reid is a really good teacher." I sipped my water.

"So what's weird about that?" Bonnie furrowed her eyebrows as she took a bite out of her sandwich.

"She asked me to consider joining the debate team." I shrugged.

Jonah nearly spit out his gatorade and Bonnie almost choked on her sandwich. 

"What? Ivy, you can't do that, that'll be social suicide!" Bonnie said.

"I'm with her on that." Jonah chimed in.

"I never said that I will do it." I reassured. "But I didn't say that I won't do it either." I shrugged which caused them to stare at me in disbelief.

"I wonder why we even have a debate team. It's like these students can't live without current events." Jonah stared into space.

"They probably can't. Our generation is needy." I laughed.

"There are only four things in this world that our generation can't live without. Food, sleep, cell phones, and Netflix." Bonnie said as she took another bite of her sandwich.

"Don't forget wifi." I commented.

"Five things then." Bonnie laughed.

"But if you want to do it, go for it. We'll be there cheering you on. Even if only ten people show up." Jonah chuckled.

After lunch, I went to my locker to get my books for the next class. I walked to my last class of the day, but I saw a sign on the door that read. Left for meeting, meet substitute in computer lab.

I don't know where that is..

I turned around and asked the first person I saw. "Excuse me. Do you know where the computer lab is?" I asked.

The boy looked surprised at first but his expression was soon replaced with a small smile.

"Um..Oh yeah that's in the back building I'll take you there. Follow me." He started walking until he saw someone else and made conversation.

"Hey man. Who's this?" The other guy pointed at me.

"Oh yeah, what is your name?" The first guy turned around and asked me.

"Ivy."

"Oh okay. Well I'm Crawford and this here, is Jason." He introduced.

I awkwardly waved.