Chapter [38] Hold On

Chapter Thirty-Eight:

For the past thirty minutes I sat and stared while he lay unconscious in the small hospital bed. The monitor beeped every now and then, the I.V dripped along with the tears falling from my cheeks. I studied every detail about him; the oxygen mask, the stitched cut at the top-left of his forehead, the neck brace, the cast on his left leg. I held on to his right hand and rubbed both my hands against his. I didn't know when he'd wake up but I wanted to be here whenever he did.

Knock knock

I turned and saw Chase at the door. "How are you holding up?" He asked.

"I can't really answer that right now." I replied, turning back towards Skylor.

I heard his foot steps walking toward me. He stood next to me.

"I remember the first time I actually talked to him. I hated him." I joked.

"I remember that day in the cafeteria." Chase chuckled. "He had to put his jacket in the cleaners after you dumped that on him."

We were reminiscing about that incident for a while but then there was kind of a moment of silence. I looked at Skylor again and felt sad.

"This isn't how it's suppose to be." I spoke in a hushed tone. "Why do I feel like this is my fault?" I sulked.

"This isn't your fault. You're not the drunk driver who caused this. This was a very unfortunate thing that happened and thankfully Skylor is going to be fine. Don't blame yourself." He wiped a tear from my cheek and kissed my forehead. "I'll get you some coffee."

I nodded and sniffled a "Thank you." I watched him walk out of the room and wiped some more tears from my face. I took a deep breath and averted my focus back to Skylor.

"That's really sad. I hope he's gonna be okay." Jonah said.

I was face-timing Jonah while getting my things together before heading to the hospital to see Skylor. "Yeah me too. I stayed there for a while after his surgery hoping he'd wake up but he was still out of it from the anesthesia and the nurse told me to come back today." I grabbed my bag and swung it over my shoulder.

"I'll be sure to tell Bonnie when she gets back from her cruise. You be careful." He replied.

"I will. Talk to you soon." After we said our goodbyes I ended the call. My phone slipped from my hand and accidentally fell onto the floor. It felt like I had a mini heart attack. It landed on the front screen.

"Please don't be cracked, please don't be cracked." I muttered as I kneeled down to pick it up. I turned it over and exhaled dramatically because there were no cracks on it. It amazes me how when my phone has a life proof case on, it never drops but as soon as I take it out to clean it then it magically just falls. I just have to accept this as my life now.

Morgan bursts through my room door. "Sky!"

I turn around and scoff. "Do you ever knock?" I stand up and wipe my phone off.

"Of course not." She stated.

I rolled my eyes.

"So is Skylor gonna be okay?" She expressed her concern.

I nodded. "Yeah. He's gonna be fine. I'm actually on my way to see him right now."

"That's good to hear. Text me later okay?" She rubbed my arm and walked out of my room.

I took a moment to get myself together and to just breathe. I had to reassure myself that this will all blow over soon because judging from how I was yesterday to today I needed some kind of hope to cling to.

Jason told me earlier that Skylor was transferred to an actual room in the hospital and not in the emergency part anymore.

I was so anxious to see him. Even though I had been there  yesterday but still I wanted to be there with him. When I got to the hospital I went to the room Jason gave me. I heard chuckles through the door. I furrowed my eyebrows and knocked.

"Come in." I heard.

I opened the door and Jason, Crawford, and Chase were huddled together. Crawford sitting in the chair holding his phone up while Jason and Chase slouched over watching the screen.

"Sup." They said.

"Uh, hey." I said incredulously, putting my bag on the floor.

I looked over and saw Skylor sleeping. He wasn't wearing an oxygen mask and I was happy for that because it meant he was breathing on his own. I walked over to his bed and stood there for a while. I rubbed my hand across his forehead, pushing his hair back and watched as he slept.

Then I heard three stooges laughing again.

I went towards them and took Crawford's phone. "What is so funny at a time like this?" I looked at the screen.

"Seriously. You're watching funny cat videos while your best friend is in a hospital bed." I rolled my eyes.

I gave the phone back to Crawford.

"Oh come on, cats are hilarious. And besides we've been here for hours. Skylor woke up this morning and we all talked a little." Crawford stated.

"Really? Why didn't you call me!" I hit each of their arms."

"Ow!" They flinched in unison. "Ivy we weren't thinking, sorry. It was like six this morning and we had no food and, well yeah, I just wasn't thinking." Jason shrugged.

"Interesting." I uttered. I sat in a chair near Skylor's bed until I eventually dozed off.

2:27pm

My eyes slowly opened and I pulled my phone from my pocket to check the time. I had taken a three hour nap. I didn't know I could do that in a folding chair. I looked over to check on Skylor and he was already looking at me.

I quickly rushed towards him. "Why didn't you tell anyone to wake me up?"

"You were sleeping and I didn't want to wake you up." He responded.

His voice was weak and he was paler than usual. But I know this is all still a working progress. I was just glad he was awake. "How are you feeling?"

"Like I've been hit by a car."

Understandable

"I'm just happy to see you. I was worried." I commented. "Do you need anything?"

He took my hand in his and looked at me with a heartfelt smile.

"I got everything I need right here."

«❤️»

[COMMENT/VOTE/LOVE]