Sherwood Forest

Night was falling now. The dark end of dusk provided ample cover for Yughi as he followed the two boys. The village where they had come to confront Godfrey was small indeed, no more than quarter of a mile from end to end.

Yughi dropped from the roof into stalking ground at the edge of the road leading into the forest. He tailed the two boys as they left the main road and followed a forest trail.

The two were loud enough that Yughi did not have to get too close. For this he was thankful, he was not used to prowling through forested areas, he felt clumsy in the terrain. The only things that allowed him to remain hidden were his natural stealth and the cover of distance.

As they made their way back towards the mysterious Brother Tuck the two boys argued. The pair debating as to what they should tell their master. Much insisted that they should elaborate upon their own skills. In his version of events the assassin also made a clumsy attempt upon Godfrey's life. The assassin's failure would have ruined the attempt of the two outlaws.

Much then said that they should say they gave chase to the craven foreigner. This stranger was a Saracen dog. When they cornered him he threw dirt in their eyes as he knew he could not prevail in a fight.

Much's companion, Dun, was not sure that lying was really a good idea. If their assailant was as dangerous as he appeared it would be best to tell the truth. Correct information might spare lives in the long run, however silly it made him and Much look.

Yughi found himself warming to the lad. Dun had the potential to make a fine assassin, given proper training.

The idea of telling the unvarnished and unflattering truth was met with aggressive mockery. Much dismissed the idea out of hand. The two, it transpired, were not really 'in' with the outlaws. Their suicide mission was intended as something of an initiation. If they related the true events, Much reasoned, they would not be allowed to stay with the outlaws.

As the two continued on their path the argument went back and forth between them. It gave no appearance of nearing any sort of resolution. Yughi would not be able to stay to see which side prevailed. As the two approached a low river crossing Yughi got the sense that he himself was being followed.

On alert he turned to look back behind him, activating his eagle sense. In that moment he saw that someone was right on top of him. He darted back as a sword swung out. A confident blow capable of cleaving Yughi from his right shoulder down close to his heart. Indeed it would have if he'd been any slower.

Yughi cursed. He had become complacent. He had been quick to assume he was the master of the environment and the superior of all who surrounded him. The only reason he was not now dead were many years of assassin training. These had only saved him by the measure of a split second.

Here in the woods he was out of his element. He may have bested two foolish young lads in the village. They had let him know there were real outlaws here in the forest. These people were of concern to professional soldiers, feared by the military. This place was their home. Of course Yughi should have come into the woods with more respect.

Instead of which the assassin had assumed that he would be able to handle anything and everything. He drew his own blade to counter-attack. He had to hope that his years of training would not fail him at this most crucial time.

The attacker pressed in close, not wanting to give Yughi any quarter. For his own part Yughi felt a thrill of alarm. The moves that would usually allow him to dodge out of reach were much more difficult in this place. The trees blocked free movement, the ground was uneven. Yughi could not dodge without fear of tripping or stumbling.

Yughi hopped to his left. He managed to clear out of the way of a second blow but he rebounded off a tree trunk. He nearly lost his grip on his sword. He raised his left hand, allowing his hidden blade to block a second swing.

The attacker grunted in surprise, a small victory. That was about the only trick Yughi had in his arsenal. Clearly his opponent had never encountered an assassin before. Now, after what seemed like an age, Yughi was stable enough to return the attack.

He swung his own blade, not intending to kill, no more than a test of his opponent's defenses. The blade was deflected, the opponent had some skill.

The attacker moved closer, intending to go for a serious wound. It was the wrong move, he had underestimated Yughi. The assassin parried and returned a counter attack. This forced his assailant onto an unsteady footing.

Yughi realised that he did not wish to kill this stranger. That was not why he had come here today. In all important respects Yughi was the outsider here, this could be a game keeper or other official. Yughi wasn't supposed to be here.

He reached to his belt for a sleeping pellet, using his thumb to flick it onto the ground at his attacker's feet. At the last second Yughi inhaled deeply. Yughi held his own breath as the soporific vapours caused his opponent to stumble and fall.

Before Yughi could get much joy from his unexpected victory a blow struck him from behind. A blow hard enough to send him tumbling forward into darkness.

MEMORY SEQUENCE INTERRUPTED. ABORTING...