Robin Hood

The man called Robin Hood was tall and thin. His shoulders were broad, his face thin and angular. His attire must have cost him a good deal of coin, but it was all practical. Yughi could sense from him an easy confidence, an almost supernatural charisma.

"So you are a genuine Assassin, from the Holy Land?" Robin asked Yughi on being introduced by Stafford.

"I'm a genuine assassin," Stafford grumbled.

"You learned assassin tricks," Robin dismissed him. "I would argue your love of ale and thievery puts you out of the running in that respect."

"Well, if you're going to concentrate on technicalities-" Stafford said.

"As you can see we have benefited a little from Brother Tuck's strategic expertise but it would certainly be handy to have more practical instruction," Robin said. "I know a little of the woodsman's craft, but nothing as martial as a true assassin."

"I would be happy to lend my help in any way I am able," Yughi said.

"But I would flatter myself if I believed that you had come here to help with our local difficulties," Robin said. "I imagine that you are here with more serious and far-ranging purpose."

"You would imagine..." Stafford muttered. He did not complete the sentence.

"The leader of the assassin's order, Al Mualim, has despatched me here to retrieve a certain artefact. He believes the Templars mean to use it to quash your rebellion against their man."

"I have heard tell of the Templars," Robin said. "My father knew them by another name when he fought them here a quarter of a century ago. Back then they called themselves the Sons of Mithras, an old pagan god."

Yughi started a little at this. Such knowledge was privileged in Masyaf, only assassins knew of this secret history. Robin Hood was not just an outlaw leader, he was some kind of a scholar. Yughi looked over to Stafford but the man's face was impassive. Maybe the Rafik was loose with privileged knowledge so far from the Holy Land, maybe he and Robin had discussed such matters before.

"They realised that the association with such ancient deities was doing them no good," Robin continued, his voice still loud enough to be heard by any passing outlaw, "so they refashioned themselves in a new mould. It does not surprise me that Wendenal should be one such. What is this relic they intend to turn against us?"

"It is a jewelled scarab, known as Ra's Will," Yughi explained, keeping his own tone more muted, to guard against eavesdroppers. "It is said to contain the power to turn the tide of any conflict in the holder's favour."

"The Templars hardly need it then," Robin smiled. "They are safe in their castles their grip tight to the reins of power. We hide in holes in the ground and pop up to take pot shots at them now and again."

"Then it is all the more reason why I should find it and remove this threat to your cause," Yughi said.

"I do believe you are right, Brother Yughi," Robin said. "For which reason, while you are here, you should consider yourself an honorary outlaw. I will make my limited resources open to you and would ask only that you share with us as much of your own craft as you are able, that we might learn to be better prepared in our own battles."

"It would be my honour," Yughi replied.

"Then it is for the best we bed down for the night," Robin said. "For we have much to accomplish on the morrow."