On The Newark Road

Robin took Brother Tuck, Yughi and John with him to find the thief Scarlet. They took horses and rode through Sherwood Forest, heading for a town called Newark where Miles Godfrey had his permanent station.

The atmosphere on the ride was unsettled, night had wrapped the forest in darkness and mist hung low to the ground, clinging to the bases of the tree trunks. The air was cold even for the early autumn.

John and Robin rode a little way ahead of the two assassin's who followed behind. All the riders took the rode as swiftly as they could, a brisk canter, all they could muster in the darkness.

"I have rarely seen two men so divided," said Yughi to Brother Tuck as they made their way along the forest paths making to intersect with the old Roman way.

"Do not be fooled by their anger, 'tis no more than fraternal bickering," Tuck said. "Those two have seen more together than most men in this life. Experience has taught them, it seems, somewhat different lessons."

"In my experience," Yughi said. "Unless two men can find understanding, they shall not remain brothers long."

"If you think I am wedded to the idea of running around the sheriff tweaking his nose like a cheeky young lad with a slow town constable then you're very much mistaken," Tuck said. "My own patience will wane, just as John's did. Even I can see, though, that we have not the wherewithal to be launching major assaults at this time. I am sure John will be happier when we have more active undertakings to pursue."

"I understand why it is we are sparing the sheriff's life," Yughi said after a brief pause. "I am not so certain as to why Miles Godfrey should be so preserved. I myself did not wish to see those two young boys killed on a hopeless mission. Other than that I have no idea why we might want Godfrey to keep breathing."

"As the Sheriff," Tuck replied. "It is not Godfrey but the prospect of what would follow that is unpalatable. As you well know when one evil-doer is removed it leaves a vacuum behind. The Templars are strong in Lincolnshire, any nobles that die tend to be replaced with a Templar these days. Robin, I think, seeks to prevent these knights from consolidating a power base."

"But if this is the case," Yughi said. "Then why does John oppose him?"

"The Knights Templar are viewed by many as a faction entirely dedicated to the Crusades and the Holy Land," Tuck explained. "Prince John may be a usurper, intent on the throne, but he is not a Templar. I do not think our John views the Templars as a threat. Who knows, he may be right."

"I understand his position," Yughi said. "But I do not think he is right."

"Neither do I brother," Tuck said quietly. "Neither do I."