The Preceptor's Horror

Yughi found moving through Lincoln easier upon his return. The skies had darkened, the fog of conflict wreathed the city, making it easier to move in shadows. The people, and the guards, were tired now. Since the uproar at the cathedral that morning the riots had run. Now evening drew in, even rabble rousers needed to rest.

It was the same in the Holy Land, cities like Tyre and Antioch were the site of many conflicts. After any battle was a time of wary quiet. People, citizens and soldiers alike, needed time to prepare for another incident. This kind of fear and chaos were the tools of the Templars. When they offered a strong hand the fearful were more likely to accept.

Such by-products of unrest were also of use to the Assassins. People were tired, they let go of the grip they held on their secrets, they did not look so hard in corners. The assassin could learn much in the aftermath of a battle.

Skulking in alleys, jumping across rooftops Yughi listened to the conversation of the passing guards. He was sifting for news of Newenham, Marian's activities, or anything else that may be of value. He quickly found that the Templar Soldiers were trained to be tight-lipped. They might talk about the things they observed in the town, but never discussed reports or information directly.

Even so, the Templars had to communicate. Eventually, Yughi's patience paid off. A scout arrived with fresh orders for the patrols. Those orders had to have originated somewhere. Yughi followed the scout through three patrols. Then the soldier made the fatal mistake of attempting to cut through an alley between two buildings.

Yughi dropped from a building into the yard behind a house. He unlatched the gate of the house as his quarry was passing. A quick throw and a couple of blows from his fists and the soldier lay on the floor in a daze. Yughi closed the gate before interrogating the man.

"You bring orders," he said to the man. "From who?"

"I'll not tell you," the soldier said. "You'll have to kill me."

"Then I will kill you," Yughi said, allowing the tip of his hidden blade to slice into the skin around the soldier's jaw. Yughi paused, not removing the blade from its position. He looked into the eyes of the captive soldier. Yughi made an effort to remain calm, his breath even. He had to establish command of the situation.

"It was the Preceptor," the soldier said. "He gave me the orders."

"Where can I find the Preceptor?" Yughi asked.

"You would have to be insane to go there," the soldier replied. "They will kill you."

"As my enemy, you should wish nothing less," Yughi said. "If it assures my death to reveal its location this is what you should do."

"The preceptory is in Temple Bruer, to the south," the soldier said. "No enemy of the Templars should go there of his own free will."

"You have not heard the assassin's creed," Yughi answered. "By our law, everything is permitted."

Before the soldier could respond Yughi killed the man. He could not risk news of his approach reaching the Templars.

Yughi struck out south of the city. He acquired a horse and rode over a low hill, down into a long, flat wooded area. Following the road south, he soon came near to a Templar patrol, six men all mounted on horseback. Urging his own mount on he followed the men back along a less well-travelled road. It took them nearly an hour to reach the preceptory.

When the patrol passed inside the gates of the building night had fallen. Guards patrolled low walls, a single tower looked out over the woods to the north and east. To the south and west were farmland. The preceptory was walled on all sides. Here was a fort, built in secret in the heart of England. Did King Richard know what the Templars were doing in Britain? Did Prince John?