A Templar's Distraction

Robin was still busy aiding Sir Malebys in organising his troops. If Yughi's plans for Newenham went as he expected them to then a big confrontation between the Templars and the Outlaws would not be long in coming, Yughi saw the wisdom of this course.

So it was Marian and Tuck that followed Yughi to Lincoln in the early hours of the Sunday morning. The morning that William De Newenham intended to be Hugh of Avalon's last.

The three of them had prepared themselves for war, Yughi had mixed his assassin's robes with various items from the outlaw clothes he generally wore at present. It meant that he didn't blend in as readily as he did in his English garb but the assassin's clothes were tailored to assist him in combat.

Tuck had slung a bow over his shoulder and brought with him a quiver of thirty arrows and a quarterstaff. Thankfully, the Crusades had given credence to the image of a warrior monk. Tuck was intended to be the eyes on the ground, mingling with the crowds to provide support in areas the other two could not go.

Marian wore her usual garb, the loose black thieving outfit and cowl. Although this meant that in shadows she was almost invisible she would not be able to go abroad in a public space at all.

By the time they reached Lincoln the morning was already well underway. Local nobles and families of high birth were flocking to the cathedral, prepared to praise God and offer thanks for all they had.

In amongst the unwitting citizens were the prowling Templar wolves and their rat-like accomplice. Yughi, perched within the rafters of the cathedral, spotted them easily but knowing they were there was not enough. In order to make life more difficult for them they had to be caught in the commission of their terrible act.

Mass proceeded in the manner of such things, hymns were sung, sermons were read and readings took place. It was clear that the Templars were not so foolish as to attempt to kill the Bishop in the full view of the entire congregation.

Following the service, as the masses filed away onto the streets, aiming to return to their homes for a grand Sunday dinner the younger of the two Templars, Sir Asheby, approached the Dean of the Cathedral. The Dean, in turn, went to speak with the Bishop. The two of them went together to the north wing of the Cathedral, out to the garden courtyard by the rectory. The two senior clergymen were accompanied on their way by four other priests.

Following on out of the crowd, trying to remain masked by the departing worshippers Tuck tried to follow along unnoticed. Unfortunately, the tidal flow of the bodies was such that he found it almost impossible to move North without also moving West, away from the Bishop's party.

Yughi followed them from above, scampering through the roof beams. He cursed his ill luck that he had chosen to cover the South Wing because the Bishop's residence was in the South East. Yughi had imagined that to be a brazen enough location for the Templars to stage their assault.

After he and Marian had entered the building through an open window in the steeple they had parted company. She had honed her focus in the weeks since she joined the outlaws and now was virtually undetectable when she put her mind to it.

As Yughi scaled a column down the side of the North wing, trying to reach the ground as quickly as possible he heard cries from the garden nearby. The Templars had made their move.

Yughi knew that if he went any faster he risked breaking a limb, or worse. He was going as fast as he possibly could and he cursed that this may not actually be fast enough.

Even as the first cries went up there came the sound of clashing metal. Yughi scanned the retreating backs of the oblivious crowds. He spotted Tuck coming up the north aisle. He too heard the cries from the garden and he picked up his heels.