At Lincoln Cathedral

Yughi finished his tea and thanked Baruch profusely for his assistance.

"If I can do anything to relieve the madness that has infected this town," Yughi said before climbing up to the rooftops once more, "rest assured I will get it done."

"Please," Baruch said. "Don't feel that you have to be pursued by the city guard to stop by for tea. It was good to have someone new to talk to for a while."

"I will bear that in mind," Yughi said and climbed up the wall his purpose renewed and his mind refocused.

When Yughi had arrived in Lincoln the heavy guard patrols and security surrounding the Castle Square had appeared daunting. Now they were just a hazard to be avoided. Yughi understood that force of numbers was not an issue to an assassin, not knowing why they were there was.

None of it had made sense upon Yughi's arrival. He guessed that he had known, somewhere in the back of his mind, that when the guard was so concentrated and Templars were about, a dark business was likely to be afoot. With the added hostility incited towards the Jews in Lincoln Yughi could see the whole picture.

The Templars were going to move, here in Lincoln, soon. Whatever they planned was likely to draw a lot of attention. They had decided to stir up a sleeping enmity of the Gentiles against the Jews as a cover-up. There was only one piece of the puzzle missing. The motivation for this smokescreen.

Yughi found a place where he could access the cathedral, from the viewpoint on the spire Yughi used the eagle sense to peer into the hidden corners and shadows of Lincoln. He would not get caught on the back foot again in this city.

This necessary task completed he found an open window, giving him access to the Cathedral itself. He was intent on finding out what business the Templars had in Lincoln and he was certain the key to the mystery was here.

From a vantage point high in the ceiling, Yughi caught sight of two men walking together, talking. One was not a templar but the other set Yughi's eagle sense bristling. Dropping down to the floor and sliding behind a pillar Yughi listened in to their conversation.

"My friend," said the older of the two men to the Templar. "I understand and sympathize with your goals, to bring peace and justice to the Holy Land, to fashion order from the chaos wrought by the Saracen hordes. I really don't see what it has to do with me."

"England is a sapling, Bishop," the Templar said. "One that the Order would dearly love to nurture until it becomes a mighty oak. The branches of England's oak would have the power to deliver peace and order to the known world. For this to happen England must be the roots of the tree, solid in the soil."

"Once again, you tell me things I am glad to hear," the Bishop said. "Once again, I offer you the support of my heart but cannot quite divine the direction in which you wish me to move."

"Lincoln is an English city," said the Templar. "But it is not a Templar City, not yet. We need the hearts and minds of the Lincolnshire people, I believe you have great influence in that direction."

"My dear friend Newenham," the Bishop said. "I influence nothing. I serve. First I serve God, then his appointed King in England, then the Holy Mother Church, then the flock of my diocese. All I do is within God's purview."

"I do not see the issue," Newenham replied. "The Temple in London, the very Order I serve, are instruments of God's will. How else can you characterise our rapid growth and phenomenal success?"

"You are soldiers of God," the Bishop said. "You do good works, and wield swords blessed with righteous fire. Are such measures needed in Lincoln? I see no Holy Lands oppressed under the yoke of godless invaders. The King of England himself has delivered his blessing, he has acknowledged the need for your work in the Holy Land by leaving his country altogether. The King believes England is safe in his absence. Do you have a different view?"

That was an awkward question. The tone of the conversation was polite but Yughi knew that the Templar was testing the Bishop, the Bishop, for his part, was resistant to embracing the Templar's propositions for his own reasons.

That could prove to be an unwise stance to take. Yughi knew that what the Templars could not win for themselves they usually destroyed. The poor of Nottingham and Derby knew that the times were sour with rot. The nobility, on the other hand, felt safer, they even regarded this time as one of great opportunity. The absence of the king allowed more space for the dance of politics.

The problem, as Yughi could have told them, was that now the Templars were keen to fill in any available gaps in power. Their politics were not governed by laws or covenants, they answered only to the call of ultimate power and control over everything.

Whatever the Bishop thought he was saying, whatever he thought he was doing, the Templar only saw the clergyman in one of two ways. Either standing with the Templar Order, or against it. Yughi knew what would happen if Newenham saw the Bishop as standing against him.

"I would ask you to reconsider today's exchange after your devotions today," Newenham said. "I believe that the Templars and the Church in Lincoln have the same agenda. All I am really proposing is that we formalise that link, and thereby consolidate it. I am afraid I must attend to business elsewhere, Bishop. I deeply appreciate the time you have spared me."

The two men then clasped hands and parted. The Bishop went towards his offices, Newenham headed for a side entrance to the cathedral. Yughi followed Newenham, hoping to learn more of the Templar's intentions.