Silence of the Alpha Chapter Two

Sunday passed by very quickly. My father didn’t speak to me at all. I didn’t care. It was Monday morning. My first day to school.

I found out that I was a junior; 11th grade. This bothered me slightly. I had only just turned 16. Most of these kids would be a year above me. Sadly, my father wanted me to finish high school, and didn’t want me there any longer than I needed to be.

My cousin, one of the ones who sat next to me on Saturday at dinner, drove me to school. He nodded at me as I stepped out of the car, zooming away as soon as I stepped back. I gulped and turned to look at the massive school behind me. It was huge! If I didn’t know any better, I would have thought I was on a college campus.

Seeing as it was the first day of school, there were people everywhere, hugging their friends after not seeing them over summer break. Before I felt too claustrophobic, I made my way to the front office. As soon as I stepped inside, the secretary at the desk looked up and smiled a sweet smile.

“Dahlia, yes?”

I nodded, slightly confused. How did this woman know who I was?

Her smile grew slightly as she stood up. She was very pretty. She looked about 25, but I had a feeling she was much older.

When she had made her way to me, she placed her hands on my shoulders. “I’m Ellie Cole. I was a friend of your mother’s.” Her smile lessened by a fraction. But it was back fully before I could blink. “You’ve grown so much since I last saw you. You look so much like Christina,” she trailed off, her eyes glazing over.

I flinched, fighting tears at the mention of my mother’s name. This woman, Ellie Cole, knew my mother. I didn’t want to believe it, but it had to be true. I ever-so-slightly remembered this woman. I could vaguely remember my mother always talking about an “El”. That must have been this woman. It couldn’t be anyone else.

I snapped out of my thoughts when Ellie stepped back to her desk. She started ruffling through her filing cabinet until she found what she was looking for. She then handed me a few pieces of paper.

“These are your schedule, locker number, map of the school, and list of things needed for the semester, though I’m sure you already have them.” She then frowned. “Your father insisted we not schedule you for gym or health at all these next two years, so don’t worry about having to take those.”

I nodded slowly. He didn’t want anyone to see my bruises. Which means my pain wasn’t over yet… If I couldn’t show my bruises, I had to have bruises to hide.

I heard the loud ringing of a bell, and the chatter outside of the office faded as students headed to their classes. I frowned. Great, I’m going to be late to my first class.

Ellie seemed to notice my distress. “Don’t worry, sweetheart. That’s only the bell for homeroom. You can still make it to your class if you go now.”

I smiled a very small smile, surprising myself. I very rarely smiled. With that, I turned and went to find my first class.

After 5 minutes of blind searching, I groaned and leaned against a wall. I was hopelessly lost. This stupid map was so unclear, it was ridiculous. How was anybody supposed to follow this?

I slid down the wall and put my head on my knees. I give up. Why did I think I could do this? Why did I think I could be a normal person and find my way around a school?

I sat there, lost in my own thoughts, until I heard a cough from above me. My head snapped up and I saw a girl. She was gorgeous. Big blue eyes, black and pink hair, average height, skinny. She had a little, friendly smile on her face.