Silence of the Alpha Chapter Eleven

Pain. That was all I felt when I came to. I felt like I was burning. Had I gone to hell? Was I dead? The pressure of another hand in mine gave me my answer. I wasn't dead. The burning was only in my head. The pain was ricocheting in my skull, giving me a pounding headache.

I tried to open my eyes. I thought that if I did, the pain would go away. But I couldn't. I couldn't open my eyes. It felt as if my eyelids were a thousand pounds each. A soft groan escaped my lips, causing the hand in mine to pull away. I heard faint yelling and then hands were on my face and the back of my head. I groaned again, expressing my discomfort.

I felt myself fading out again, but I fought it, wanting to wake up. My mind started to clear a bit. I could hear faint beeping from my left and the soft voice of a doctor to my right. I could tell she was a doctor by how serious, yet soft she sounded. I couldn't quite make out what she was saying, but I knew it was important.

I continued to struggle to open my eyes. It was becoming easier, but they still wouldn't open. I tried to think back to what happened. Everything was black. The very last thing I remembered was being at school, talking to my friends. After that... My head hurt just thinking about it. It was like it had all been erased.

I heard a door open and then loud footsteps, muffled by carpet. A man's voice interrupted the doctor. The voice triggered something in me. It was so familiar. But I couldn't tell who it was. He sounded upset and the doctor was trying to calm him down.

I felt hands on my face again, and this time, tingles followed the touch. I felt my entire body relax and my eyelids start to flutter. My mind was clearing, but the pain was only pushed to the darkest corners. My wolf seemed like she wanted to say something, but something wasn't allowing her to speak.

My eyes opened, but quickly closed again at the light above me. I groaned and raised a hand to cover my sensitive eyes. The light behind my eyes was gone before I could reach my hand to my face. When I opened my eyes again, it was much dimmer. The only light came from the moon shining through the window on the far wall. I didn't quite recognize my surroundings, but something about the room was familiar.

I started to glance around the room, first spotting my brother sitting next to me, his hands gripping tightly onto my right one. I then saw the female doctor in front of the bed. One sniff told me she was a wolf. She must have been the pack doctor.

When I finally looked at the figure to my left, everything came crashing back down on me. My head starting aching again as I thought about all of the events prior to me waking up here. The flashed in front of my eyes like pictures, giving me a clear image of what happened. Hearing my laughs again gave me the chills. Had I gone crazy?

Those concerned blue eyes locked with my own hazel ones. I could tell he wanted to speak, but he seemed afraid that what he said would hurt me.  I turned my head back to look at my brother and saw the same expression on his face. I started to panic again.

The doctor was the first one to break the silence, her voice calm. "How do you feel, Dahlia?" I shook my head at her question, thinking the same thing to myself. How do I feel?

She reacted to my response by taking a deep breath. "My name is Dr. Meredith Prezlocki. You're in the pack house's infirmary."

I figured as much. I knew that I would be taken here. I continued to look at Dr. Prezlocki in confusion. She took another deep breath. "You were hit quite hard in the back of the head. You're very lucky there was no brain damage." She aimed her last statement at my brother, eyebrows raised. She looked back at me. "You've been out for three days. I was told, though, that you had a form of a psychotic break. Is this true?"