Silence of the Alpha Chapter Three

The next few days went without trouble. No one really said much to me due to Cass's deathly glare when someone tried to. I was surprised that no one from my pack had said anything to my father about Monday morning. From then on, I wasn't late again. I also wasn't beaten or harassed at home, which was also a surprise. My old bruises were already gone, making it look like I hadn't been touched in my entire life.

My small group of friends was extremely nice. They never commented on the fact that I didn't speak; they just allowed me to listen, occasionally nodding or shaking my head. I had gotten used to hugs again. Every time someone hugged me, it brought back memories of my mother. I would have to try my hardest not to start crying. Also, I got used to nicknames. Ryan was still calling me 'darling', but Cass and Kandi started calling me 'princess, while Mike just told them to stop making me feel embarrassed.

Today was Thursday; what I thought was just another normal day. I had already gotten through my first two classes with Cass, and we were on our way to the cafeteria, her chattering the whole way there about the latest gossip. Before we walked into the room, I felt slightly unnerved, like someone in there was looking for me. We walked in, me with my head down, Cass talking her head off. I sat down, as usual, next to Ryan. I still felt that odd unnerving feeling, but now it was a burning. I allowed myself to lower my head onto the table without even glancing at Kandi who was looking at me with confusion written across her face.

I faintly heard Cass sit down in front of me, still talking to whoever would listen. After a few moments, it got extremely silent and I heard Mike's voice break the tension.

"The Alpha's back."

It was silent for a few seconds longer while everyone soaked in the information. I heard Kandi's soft voice ask, "Was he successful? Did he find her?"

I glanced up at that. I saw Mike slowly shake his head. Everyone's face fell, and for a moment, fear flashed across their features. I looked at Mike with confusion, while everyone else looked across the room, probably searching for the Alpha they were talking about. I had heard that this pack's Alpha had stepped down a few years ago, allowing his son to take over. But I was confused as to why he had been gone.

Mike noticed my expression. He just smiled and shook his head. "It's nothing you have to worry about." I simply nodded at his carefree statement, feeling ever-so-slightly relieved.

That burning sensation in my body grew hotter and hotter, causing me to grimace and close my eyes. I heard a gasp come from Ryan and the entire cafeteria fell silent. I could feel eyes on me, so I slowly lifted my head and followed everyone's eyes to the person standing to my left. My eyes widened to the size of tea cups, and the burning felt as if it was washed away with cold, soothing water.

The hard, cold look at the man's face softened slightly, his soft blue eyes changing from ice to warm seas. His mouth opened, seeming to want to say something, before closing again in confusion. I felt a small pulling sensation in both my chest and head. Reluctantly, I ripped my gaze from this handsome man, looking back at the table with brows furrowed. What the hell was that? I felt overwhelmingly calm, but my mind was racing.

The room was still silent, until there was a small squeaking sound and retreating footsteps. Conversation began to spark again, but my table was still eerily quiet. I peeked a look at Mike, knowing he would probably be able to give me answers. He was just gaping at me, along with the rest of the table.

After another 30 seconds of gaping, they finally started talking.

"Did he..."

"Is she his..."

"What just ha-..?"

Mike was still silent, but now he looked unfocused. I knew that look. His Alpha was speaking to him through the link. After a moment, he narrowed his eyes. "That's impossible."