Silence of the Alpha Chapter Ten

"Sister." The evil smirk on my brother's face softened into a sad frown. I glared at his soft tone and the way he touched me. How dare he treat me so kindly after beating me all these years and then hitting me today?

He noticed my anger, his eyes saddening further. "I'm so sorry." His apology meant nothing to me now. It was nine years too late.

I began to struggle, willing my legs to support me. Once I was on my wobbly feet, I glared down at him. "How dare you! You have no right to call me your sister! No man hits a woman, no matter the reason!" My voice oozed venom and I could tell that my eyes had gone amber with my wolf. She was just on the surface, begging to be released and kill the monster of a man in front of me.

My brother quickly stood, backing up a significant amount from me. His warm brown eyes were wide, much like a deer, giving him an almost innocent look. I knew better. He was just waiting for the right opportunity to pounce on me.

"Dahlia... You're not thinking straight," his voice pleaded. His hands were up in surrender, though they were shaking slightly in fear. I didn't understand his actions. He was direct Beta blood. He could easily take me down.

"You don't have the right to call me by my name, Elijah!" Hearing his name must have sobered him up quick because he started blinking rapidly. I couldn't help but be concerned with his actions. He was my flesh and blood after all.

Elijah shook his head quickly, seeming to want to rid himself of his thoughts. He looked back up at me, eyes clear, but warm. His head tilted to the side and his brows furrowed deeply. He seemed confused as to why he was here with me. Realization hit and his eyes widened, filling with horror. He stepped back a few feet and dropped to his knees, head bowed.

"I'm so extremely sorry, my sister. I couldn't go against the order. I can't believe it lasted this long. No command from a Beta should last this long. I'm sorry, Dahlia. Can you ever forgive me?" Elijah's hopeless begging only served to confuse me. He was ordered to hurt me?

I expressed my question, only to have him look back up at me. "A lot of us were. Once it started, everyone else just kind of came along. I didn't realize it until now. Why does father believe that you killed her?" His last question caught me off guard. My wolf backed down, whimpering her way back into her hole. It struck me to the heart. Why did my father think I killed my mother?

We were silent for a few minutes, lost in our own thoughts. I was brought back to the real world by a loud rumbling from behind me. I whipped around, only to see a deep black wolf crouched down behind me. It looked ready to pounce at Elijah, its eyes locked on him. My brain clicked together the puzzle pieces quickly. This wolf was Phoenix, and he was ready to kill Elijah.

Before I could even think, I jumped between Phoenix and Elijah. "Phoenix, stop!" He looked up at me, huffing through his nose. He looked beyond angry. I could tell that he had let his wolf take over completely, leaving him no control. It was hard to come back from that, and it rarely happened. I just stood here, my arms stretched out and back, protecting my brother from this rage-filled, mated Alpha.

Elijah started to wrap his arm around my mid-section to pull be back, but was stopped by Phoenix snapping his jaws towards us. I could feel the panic radiating off of my Beta of a brother. He was even terrified.

"Dahlia, we have to leave. He's going to kill us." He sounded genuinely concerned about me getting hurt. His words struck something in me, though.

My arms started to lower, and I looked intensely into my mate's sapphire blue eyes, searching for any sign that he was going to hurt me. All I saw was rage and murder. I gasped, stepping back into Elijah. I was completely ready to run, but before I could even move an inch, I saw the familiar rippling around Phoenix's body.