Silence of the Alpha Chapter Five

I was awoken by the sound of a shower running in the distance. My eyes refused to open, so I just lay there, taking in my surroundings. I could tell I was on a bed and that it was very soft and warm under my fingers. I allowed my hearing to enhance to listen to the sounds outside of the room. I could hear chattering from the halls and kitchen downstairs. I listened further and heard cars starting and driving away outside the house. My mind was starting to clear and I was remembering where I was. I was at Phoenix's pack house. In his room, on his bed. I felt my heart race as I recalled him holding me when I fell asleep last night.

My eyes finally opened when I heard a door across the room open. I blinked against the sunlight that I was looking into. I slowly raised my hands to rub my tired eyes. I regretted staying up so late last night. I was having so much fun. I finally felt like I was living a normal life, much like the one I had before my mother died.

I heard someone shuffling around, so I looked towards the sounds. I saw that the closet doors were open, and every once in a while, I could see Phoenix pass by to the other side of the large room. I began to sit up and stretch my tired limbs. I stood and felt the soft rug under my feet. I don't think I had ever felt this utterly calm before. Maybe it was just because I was tired.

Phoenix came out of the closet wearing dark faded jeans and an ocean blue polo shirt, matched with a pair of stark black Converse. I swear, he could wear a potato sack and still be gorgeous.

I shook my head at my bold thoughts. Since when was I so attracted to guys? I slowly started to wonder why he was dressed. Then it occurred to me; it was Friday.

As if reading my mind, Phoenix turned to me. "Come on. Go get dressed. We have to go to school." I shook my head quickly, jumping back onto the bed and burying myself in the sheets. I couldn't go back there.

I heard Phoenix's soft chuckle. After a brief moment, the sheets were ripped from me, causing me to glare at the culprit. He shook his head and held out his hand. "Get up. We have to go. Alphas can't skip school."

I continued to lay on the bed with my arms crossed, glaring at his beautiful face. I was not going to get up. As soon as I stepped foot in the school, members from my pack would drag me to my father and Alpha. I would be punished; by someone worse than Victor or even my brother. I didn't want anything to ruin how happy I was now.

After another 30 seconds of silence, Phoenix sighed and dropped his hand. "Fine. We won't go." A smile was just starting to spread across my face when he kept speaking. "But, you have to let me meet your pack." My eyes widened again, shocked by his request. I shook my head vigorously. He couldn't go there. My pack would take him out.

Phoenix seemed to take my refusal the wrong way. "You're not taking back your acceptance, are you..?"

"No!" My hand shot up to cover my mouth. Why do I keep talking?

He seemed just as shocked as I was. His eyes seemed to melt back into their small seas. "Say something again." I shook my head. "Please?" I faltered. He wouldn't care what I had to say. Nobody did.

My wolf butted back into my private thoughts. He cares. You know he does! Not everyone is like your crazy family. Some people really do care about you.

I internally shook my head. It was impossible. I didn't speak. It's not who I am. I hadn't said a word since I was nine years old. Even before that, no one cared about what I had to say. These last few days have been weird. I've actually said things, and I didn't know if I really liked it. I was never one to talk. It was so odd when I did. There was nothing worth saying anymore. No one listened, no matter what my wolf said.

She scoffed at that and fell back behind her walls again. I could almost hear her dungeon doors slam shut. I always seemed to make her angry. I didn't mean to. I wanted her around; I really did! We just never agreed on anything.

I came back to reality when Phoenix cleared his throat in front of me. I peeked up at him and saw that he had a brow raised and his arms were crossed against his chest. He didn't look angry, just agitated. I never thought that there was a difference, but with him, I knew there was. I continued to look at him, forcing myself not to drool at the sight of him.

"So we're staying home?" I inwardly smiled at his use of the word 'home'. It did feel like home here.

I nodded as an answer to his question before getting up and skipping out of the room. I went down the two flights of stairs and wound up in the kitchen. I smiled as I saw the few pack members left in the house. These were the small families that had nowhere else to live.

I silently made my way to the corner of the kitchen to watch the families. The mothers were feeding their small children while the fathers lounged around with their cups of coffee and tea. I recognized a few of them from the short meeting yesterday. They looked just as happy now as they did yesterday. I was noticing how much different this pack was from mine. My pack was never this warm towards anyone. The children were raised by our maids and nannies while the fathers were training and the mothers cooked and carried more babies to term. We were constantly receiving new children. Our pack wanted to be big, but we started too many wars and lost too many men to catch up.

"Luna." I jumped at the voice that came from my side. I sighed when I saw that the man that was bowing his head was the Beta. I nodded my hello, causing him to continue talking. "I never got to properly introduce myself. My name is Kaine." He bowed his head once again. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Luna."

I shook my head at my title while blood flowed to my cheeks, heating my face. Kaine picked up on my nervousness and chuckled. "You're more comfortable if I stop calling you Luna, as well as bowing," he stated. I quickly nodded my head, causing him to laugh again. I smiled at how carefree he was, even though he was so high up on the food chain.

Once he settled down enough, he grinned, making his grey eyes flash. "I think we're going to get along perfectly."