Chapter 31

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

unedited

The Immortals

CHAPTER 31

Sleeping brought nightmares. Mostly flashbacks of the worst times I could remember, but sometimes it was something entirely new.

Lately I dreamt about the first time Caine had hit me.

I didn't immediately start the cry when his hand made contact with my face. Waves of different emotions washed over me.

Hurt, sadness, fear, and embarrassment... But mostly shame. I almost hated myself more than I did Caine that night. I felt so shameful that I had let this happen to me, I put myself in a position where he was able to do that to me. It was horrible.

I knelt on the ground for what seemed like hours, clutching my face, tears running around my hands.

But I got up...and I walked back to the castle.  While making my way up to my room, I  was always drawn towards Caine's bedroom,where I knew my mate was.

It was never how much physical pain he inflicted on me that ruined me though. It was the mental and emotional damage that really wrecked me.

There was something about almost dying that cleared your mind, I was able to sort through my memories and emotions. I knew exactly where things went wrong.

When I was asleep at least.

Being awake brought me confusion, which in turn brought me more pain. When I looked at Caine, I saw Octaves- doing horrible things to me. He was going to kill me.

But Caine didn't hurt me, just looked at me. He watched me do everything. If I closed me eyes he could grab my hand and it would calm me. I felt safe and my wolf felt loved when he was with me.

My brain couldn't comprehend seeing Caine. He looked like Octaves, which triggered something in my brain to think I was in danger. The meds that the doctors put me on helped with the pain but clouded my mind even more. In between the doses I remembered where I was and that I was safe, but most of the time I would scream at him- he would have to leave until I calmed down.

When I was finally released, Alec picked me up and we drove for a while. We didn't talk. Alec stopped the car in a small town and we bought something to eat. I didn't get out of the car though, he grabbed me a sandwich.

" Do you need anything else, Lila?" he asked me when he got back in the car, "your medicine? Do you need your bandages changed?" I bit into the sandwich and shook my head.

" I'm okay." I told him

He looked at me worriedly. " Lila it's okay to need help some-"

"Alec I'm fine. Really." I said again. Alec gave me another look of doubt but didn't ask again.

We arrived at a small clump of building  in pretty much the middle of nowhere.
There was a big red house in the middle, and about two dozen other houses of the same size or bigger surrounding it.

Alec parked next to a bunch of other black SUVs. I took a deep breath and opened the car door.  He came around the truck and gently placed his hand on my shoulder, steering me into the right house.

We went into the smallest house of them all. I didn't notice it before because it hid behind the red one.

Caine's scent was strong, I could feel some of his emotions and feeling. He usually had walls up in his mind to block me out, but some of his thoughts entered my mind. They were scattered and hard to sift through, they just confused my brain and gave me a headache.