Grandmother's House

Grandma's house was a large rambling old structure, partly fairy-tale-esque, with cream walls and lavender window shutters, shimmering sunlight and blooming garden surrounded by a white fence. It was also partly deranged with the giant tree that grew out of the west wing, trunk sprouting through the roof and branches grown into the walls.

The tree and house had been in a war for supremacy for as long as Lorelie could remember, seems they were still stuck at a stalemate even after all these years.

The sight of the cottage was like a breath of fresh air.

A beacon at the end of the path she was walking and she ran towards it.

Only a sound from within made her stop.

She stood there, unsure of what she had heard.

Only it then came again a second later.

A crash.

Followed by a woman's screaming. It could only have been her grandmother.

"Granny?" she cried, eyes widening, the basket falling from her hands as she ran to the gate. She had just got it open when the front door exploded open and a wolf in a nightcap came lunging out of the house, hurtling towards her.

Lorelie screamed, toppling backwards and hitting the ground, scrambling backwards as the beast charged at her, something hanging from its hideous fangs.

It bounded through the gate and loped away into the shadows just as a snarl followed it.

"Dover! Dover, you little beast! Get back here! You steal another chicken pie and I'll skin you!" a woman shrieked.

Lorelie looked towards the door and her grandmother appeared, dressed in a bonnet everyday daywear, brandishing a broom like a spear and moving far better than anything Lorelie had been expecting from the old woman.

"And bring back my night cap!" Nana May shouted into the shadows but the thieving wolf was already gone and it was only then that she noticed her granddaughter sprawled inelegantly on the forest floor, staring at her. "Who are you? Are you lost?" she snapped, clearly more interested in her miss night cap.

"I..." Lorelie muttered, gaping. This really wasn't the woman she remembered from her childhood.

"Speak up, girl! A young lady does not mumble."

"I'm... Lorelie," Lorelie said.

Her grandmother stared at her for a moment, then her eyes widened. "Lorelie? My granddaughter?"

"... Hello... Grandmother."

Nana May dropped the broom and tears burst from her eyes. "My darling," she gasped, hobbling down the garden path. Lorelie quickly pulled herself up off the floor, picking up the basket, just in time for her grandmother to throw her arms around her and kiss her on both cheeks.

"My! Look how you've grown! I didn't think I would ever see you out here again," Nana May cried, gripping her hands.

"I... I'm sorry... I—"

"Oh pish with sorry, darling, I understand. Fear and trauma are high mountains to climb over. Yet here you are! Come in, come in, sweetheart. I have tea and sweet cakes. I had a lovely chicken pie until five minutes ago," her grandma said, taking her hand and dragging her down the garden path and into the house. She bundled her into the living room, where a fire was lit. It had two overstuffed armchairs around it, each with a small table beside them, a rug between that depicted an enchantress of some sort. The walls were filled with book shelves.