Wild Boys and Huntsmen

Lorelie's scream blended with Sullivan's, her hands flying to her face as he wrapped his arms tightly around his son and howled with an agony that only a parent could feel, tears streaming from his eyes as he rocked his and Korra's body back and forth.

"Nana!" Lorelie cried, stumbling to her feet before another man caught her, though his grip was weak, his mind clearly in shock as he and the other huntsmen stared between the boys who had been wolves, to the two dead bodies who hadn't been spared, to their crippled leader and the old witch who lay crumpled at the bottom of a tree, trembling, breathing hard and fast, her hands pressed to her waist as blood pumped from her wound.

"Kill them."

Everyone looked to Sullivan as a vicious, ugly snarling order issued from his mouth, his eyes, like daggers, snapping up to take in Nana May, the boys, Lorelie and Jean and Grey's body behind them.

"Kill them all!" he snarled, "all of them! End it! End this goddamn curse for good! Kill them! KILL THEM ALL!!"

"That is quite enough!"

The shout that came from outside the group made everyone look back and horses loomed out of the darkness, their riders like phantoms on their backs, weapons raised, surrounding them from all sides, eyes calm and steady, their minds clear and focused, stilling the chaos in the air around the clearing as everyone watched two figures step forwards.

The huntsmen lowered their weapons as one as they gazed up into the eyes of Lord Luka, his green gaze conveying his orders without even needing to open his mouth as he surveyed the scene before him.

"I think things have gone far enough," said Beldon beside him as he pushed his hood back, his blue eyes sweeping the scene to take it all in in a second. "Drop your weapons."

The huntsmen hesitated.

"I shall not ask again," Beldon said calmly, the steeliness of his voice sending chills up everyone spines and the guns were released, set on the ground out of reach. "Thank you," Beldon continued, "Now step to the edge of the clearing, facing my men, kneel and clasp your hands behind your head."

His orders were followed without question, the tone of his voice leaving no room for argument. The second she was freed, Lorelie raced to her grandmother as Beldon turned his attention to Jean.

"Private May, would you explain to us what is happening."

Jean straightened, saluting as if the whole thing was part of their lives in the army, explaining it in short, sharp phrasing, catching them up to speed on what he knew in a sudden impersonal, military fashion, like it didn't affect him.

Beldon looked at Luka at the end of it.

"Where is my brother?" Luka asked quietly, the softness of his voice more chilling than anyone else's.

Everyone eyes flickered to Grey's still body but Luka's eyes had been on him since he'd asked the question.

One of the former wolves braved standing up, facing Luka, bowing, still unsteady on his feet.

"Sire," he muttered.

Luka looked towards the dark skinned man.

"Alexander?" Luka asked as Lorelie stared, surprised to hear Ally's voice.

"He... chose our lives and Lorelie's over his own," Ally said slowly, straightening to look at Luka.

"Is he dead?"

"I don— I don't know, Sire," Ally mumbled.

Luka was quiet, his eyes giving away nothing of what he might have felt. Instead he leant across to Beldon, who leant over so Luka could whisper something in his ear. He nodded and Luka withdrew to the edge of the group, his muscles tight.