The Wild Prince

"Ow, ow, ow!" Grey snarled, gripping his chin as Lorelie held the top of her head, her tiara dislodged. "Why would you do that!?"

"Because you were shouting at me for no good reason and wouldn't let go!" Lorelie snarled back.

"I had every reason to shout at you! You're poking your nose into things that have nothing to do with you!"

"There's nothing wrong with knowing more about you!"

"I didn't want you to know!"

"Why?"

"Why does it matter?"

"Why can't I know?"

"I told you! It's like I'm using you! And I'm not! I swear I'm not!"

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Lorelie snarled, "Using me for what?"

"To get free obviously!"

"What?"

"I don't want to talk about it! Stay away from Roth!" Grey snapped, spinning away.

"Grey!" Lorelie cried, reaching for him but his shadowed form was suddenly gone and his wolf form opened its eyes and he got to his feet. "Grey, wait!" she said, her eyes widening, right before he turned and raced off into the forest, leaving her stranded at the lagoon, the lights of the fireflies starting to fade as the bugs dispersed.

She stood there in stunned silence for a moment, then spun away, sitting down, throwing her shoes aside and wrenching her tiara out of her hair, taking deep breaths to calm herself as her hands trembled, finally folding her arms as she stared out over the lake towards the darkness of the other shore.

She bit her lip then pressed her hand to her eyes, letting out a shuddering breath as the sound of paw-steps sounded behind her.

"I'm sorry, are you crying?"

"I'm not crying!" she snapped, spinning around and smacking Grey square on the nose, "I'm mad because a stupid wolf ran off leaving me alone and lost in the dark, in a cumbersome gown and high heels!"

Grey winced, flattening his ears as he rubbed his nose with a paw. "I know, I'm sorry, it's why I came straight back. I wouldn't really leave you out here alone. It's just... look, about before."

"No, no," Lorelie snapped, spinning away and pushing to her feet, almost stumbling over the ends of her gown, "No, if you don't want to tell me, I don't care."

"Lorelie," Grey said. "Look it's just – I didn't want to hide things, but I—"

"I said I don't care," Lorelie said, marching past him, "In fact, all I really care about is going back to Rose Castle. Take me back."

"Lorelie, would you just listen to me."

"Which way is it anyway? This way, correct? Right, let's go!"

Grey's arm around her waist stopped her right before she marched off into the darkness and he yanked her back against his chest, his other arm coming around to her to stop her as she practically started growling.

"Stop, Lorelie, stop," he said, annoyed, "I'm sorry I ran off but you shouldn't have got involved behind my back."

Lorelie stopped growling and pushed away from him, looking away. "Fine," she muttered, moving away, "You're right, I know you are. I'm sorry. I'll stay out of it from now on. Now can we go?"

She took three steps towards the forest, almost reaching the edge.

"I'm the youngest of the Rose Family, the third son and the first to go missing."