Witch Wolves

"You have a lot of nerve showing your face in these halls, you realise? War clearly grew you a backbone."

"I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my sister."

"You didn't have to come. She's been here alone."

"Yes, well, the woods are getting more and more dangerous these days, excuse me for worrying."

Lorelie glanced back and forth between Jean and Luka as they glowered at each other from across the sitting room, both sat with their legs and arms crossed.

She now understood why Jean never came to Rose Castle even though he and Beldon were friends. It was obvious Luka did not care for him, not one bit.

The various servants around the room shuffled back and forth on their feet, cringing at the iciness in the air.

A knock at the door distracted the men and everyone looked around as a valet looked in.

"Yes, Iago?" Luka said.

"Beldon is still with his... guest," the valet said, "I assume they'll be finishing soon."

As if on a stage cue, a door further down the hall was heard to crash open and Iago winced, leaning back out of the room to look down the hall.

"Beldon, we aren't finished."

"I have other things to be doing, Father, this is not the time," came Beldon's voice, his tone sharp and cutting, a clear signal that the conversation was over, "I'm sure I shall see you at court."

"Beldon we have barely spoken since you returned, we barely heard from you while you were away. Do you realise how long that was?"

"Well I was away for a year and four months, so yes I realise how long that was."

"Master Beldon," Iago ventured to cut in, "You have guests."

"Well tell them all to leave!" Beldon snarled.

Jean got to his feet and quickly passed the others, stepping out into the corridor.

"Apologies for the surprise visit, Captain," he said, saluting Beldon. The change in his attitude was starting as Lorelie watched him through the door, stood to attention.

"Jean," Beldon said, clearly taken aback before he appeared in the doorway and looked in, spotting Lorelie. He quickly turned back to look down the hall at where his father must have been stood. "I have guests that need my attention, we shall meet at court, give my best to my brothers and sisters."

"They would like to see you outside of court, Beldon," his father said quietly.

"Well I'll see about that later," Beldon said, "Iago, see to my father would you?"

"Of course," Iago said, bowing as Beldon stepped into the sitting room, Jean following and Beldon quickly shut the door behind them, letting out a breath.

"I assume the problems are the same as ever," Jean muttered.

Beldon gave him a look that said the whole topic was exhausting then turned on his smile and looked at Lorelie. "I didn't expect to see you back so soon," he said, taking a seat beside Luka.

"I wanted to discuss something with you," Lorelie said. "It involves what we talked about last night actually."

She glanced at Luka and Beldon's smile stalled as he looked at Luka out of the corner of his eye.

"I see," he said, his voice tight. "I hadn't got around to mentioning anything actually."

Luka looked at him and Beldon avoided looking at him.