Lake of Gold

A tap on the shoulder made Lorelie look around just as another waltz ended, her laugher cut short as one of the girls gestured towards the balcony above.

She looked up and spotted Beldon watching, his arms folded on the railings.

"The Master said it's been an hour," the girl said, "but that you're welcome to dance longer if you wish."

Lorelie quickly broke away from the crowd who were starting to shift around to start another dance.

"I won't be long," she called as she hurried away, hiking up her masses of skirts as she climbed the stairs.

Beldon smiled as she met him, his eyes flicking to her then back to the ball. "So, are you enjoying yourself?"

"I am," she said, smiling.

"Now aren't you glad I insisted on you dancing for a bit," he said with a chuckle before straightening up and turning away, gesturing for her to follow him. "So, Old Groby says he put the idea of the gallery in your head."

"He did."

"Any idea what you expect to find in there?"

"No, but since the chance came up and you're allowing me, I thought I might as well."

"Fair enough, so how if your friend doing?"

"My friend?" Lorelie asked, looking at him.

Beldon smiled at her, then reached back and patted his shoulder blade. "Your friend who so kindly attacked me some years back – well, no that's unfair I suppose, it was a member of the same pack. The golden wolf was... indisposed by that point."

Lorelie raised a questioning eyebrow at him and he just shook his head.

"Did they really attack you?" she asked.

Beldon raised an eyebrow at her in return. "You believe me to be lying?" he asked.

"No," Lorelie said quickly, shaking her head, "No, it's just... it seems so unlike them."

"Yes well, everyone can take you by surprise with their actions, even those we think we know best." He smiled. "I never thought my father would send me to war after all and yet he did."

Lorelie looked down, clasping her hands together as they walked.

"But then I also didn't expect him to seek forgiveness for it," Beldon added.

That made Lorelie look up. "Forgiveness?" she said in surprise.

"Or so my sister tells me. I haven't met with my family since I returned – besides Rosalia of course. Your sleeping draught worked by the way, the nightmares are much less frequent these days. I wouldn't have thought to use a potion."

Lorelie stopped. "Huh?"

"The sleeping potion you gave me, it's very good," Beldon explained and stopped when Lorelie just looked blankly at him.

"A potion? Lorelie copied.

"Well remedy if you prefer..." Beldon tilted his head to the side slightly. "It is a witch's remedy however, so potion. Though I'm assuming by your expression, you didn't know that."

Lorelie just stared at him.

Beldon chuckled slightly as he turned away and starting walking away. "You should be mindful of what books you read and use, especially if there is magic involved. Magic is not to be taken lightly."

"How do you know it was a witch's potion?" Lorelie asked, running after him, almost tripping over her skirts.

"Old Groby mentioned it when I told him about it."