Chapter XII

Chapter XII

"Be slow to fall into friendship but when thou art in it, continue firm and constant."

-Socrates

  Salvin drummed his fingers on the counter. Rayna stood in the kitchen, humming as she prepared lunch. Draco sat on the stool at the island, staring off into space. Every so often, the ruffling of sheets could be heard from across the room as Mitchel rolled around in his sleep.

  He was bored. Salvin didn't know what to do. They were still awaiting Charlotte's return, and it had been almost an hour. In a way, Salvin got it. Perhaps she was taking her time because she knew he needed his sleep. He didn't really want that, though. Mitchel could always get some sleep later. Or, they just were running late. Whatever the case was, he still didn't particularly enjoy it.

  Suddenly, there was a soft knock on the door. Salvin stood up and hurried over as quietly as he could to get it. When he opened the door, Charlotte stood there with a group of adults behind her. Salvin stepped back, inviting them into the house.

  Charlotte introduced them one by one. "This is Mitchel's father, Vincent. This is Frank Stein, Mitchel's best friend's father. This is James," she said, gesturing to a young adult who had to be Salvin's age. He had dark, blonde hair and soft brown eyes. They examined Salvin as if he were a piece of meat. He sniffed before turning away "this is the twins, Marianne and Martin." Charlotte said again, gesturing to a male and female standing side by side. Both had slightly tanned skin and almond shaped eyes. Their eyes were almost black, and their dark hair was curled. Salvin figured they were partially Greek and maybe even Italian, but he was never good at deciphering what race people were unless it was obvious. "This is Cheryl." Charlotte said again, patting a short, Chinese woman on the back. She was on the younger side, probably twenty six at most. Her black hair framed her head and ended at her jawline. Her eyes were a dark shade of brown, and were nearing black, but not as dark as the twins'. Then, she jabbed a finger in another man's direction. "This is Fredrick." She said in a bored tone. He had black hair, but silver hairs threaded through it. Salvin could see wrinkles beginning to form. His eyes were a light blue, and caused shivers to cascade down Salvin's spine. Charlotte sighed before pointing at another man. "This is Edward, one of my other friend's father." Edward had light blonde hair and a youthful look playing along his features His eyes were a light blue, and his skin was pale. Finally, Charlotte pointed to one last person. "This is Nora." Nora was the shortest of them all, probably not even five feet tall. She was older, judging by her gray hair and wrinkled face. However, she smiled, revealing almost a youthful face. Her eyes were a lovely shade of dark green, and her skin was free of blemishes.

  "It's nice to meet you all." Salvin said, reaching out to shake their hands.

  Fredrick turned his nose into the air. "Of course you're pleased. They always are so happy to see someone at such a high standard as myself."

  Salvin's mouth turned into a frown. Vincent shook his head. "Ignore him, okay Salvin?"

  He cocked his head to the side. "Did Charlotte tell you about us?"

  Marianne nodded dully. "Yes, of course she did." She said, in almost a bored tone.

  Martin glared at his sister. "Be polite." He said, clearly the twin that kept them in order.

  "Whatever." She muttered.

  Cheryl clapped her hands together. "So, where is everyone else?"

  "Salvin, who's there?" Draco groaned from the kitchen.

  Salvin sighed. "Draco, you best be kind. We have quite a few guests."