24.

(A/N: in case any of you were wondering, Alice and her mom kept her father's last name, just because it's a lot of work to change last names in real life.)
Alice's POV, 1 week later
I woke up, shielding my eyes from the morning sun. I smiled softly, relishing in having Alan sound asleep next to me. However, I quietly pulled myself out of the bed, and padded into the kitchen. I made myself some tea in record time, leaving Alan's mug of tea on the counter, with an adorable smiley-faced Post-It note stuck to it.
I've always had a small balcony attached to my apartment overlooking the city of London. I didn't really use it often, considering the weather wasn't always so good.
These days, everything seemed sunnier.
I opened the shutter doors, and stepped out, leaving them open. There was a cool morning wind blowing, but I didn't mind it. I let out a deep sigh, before taking a sip of my tea.
Today was a heavy day for me, and it had been for two years. I was zoned out, thinking, when my head snapped up at the sound of a velvet baritone.
"Cute." Alan stated, holding up the sticky note in his fingers, eyes filled with amusement. He was leaning in the doorway, wearing his dark blue robe, his hair adorably messy.

I smiled weakly, as he sat down in the closest chair, motioning for me to take a seat as well.
I did so, letting out a breath.
"Something's on your mind." Alan stated, looking at me intently.
My lips turned up a bit. "How did you know?"
Alan shot me a playful, pointed look.
I laughed slightly. "Oh yeah, it's because you know me." I teased.
Alan just smiled, but a second later, he was neutral again, waiting for me to explain.
I sighed again. "It's my mother's birthday today." I murmured.
Alan's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, so I clarified.
"It used to be a happy day, but it's not anymore..." I stated.
Alan placed his hand overtop mine in reassurance. "Why is that?" He asked softly.
I looked at him, biting my lip nervously. "I'd...um...I think I should show you. Let's get dressed."
*****
2 hours later
I sighed as I turned off the ignition, gazing at the sign that read 'Elderly Meadows'. I blinked back tears.
I got out of the car, and instantly I felt Alan next to me, gripping my hand. We were silent as we walked inside.
I stopped in my tracks then, causing Alan to face me, placing his hands on my shoulders.
"Are you alright?" He whispered.
I shook my head. "This...this is actually..my first time, seeing her..." I trailed off.
Alan nodded in understanding, hand finding my cheek.
"I'm right here, Alice."
I nodded, feeling the lump in my throat. I didn't know if I could talk, so Alan took charge, as we approached the visitors counter.
"Here to visit a relative?" The woman behind it asked us.
I nodded weakly, and Alan said, "Last name is Williams.."
"First name is Eva.." I added hoarsely.
The woman gave me a pitiful look. "Room 105. Right down that hall."
Alan thanked her, but I was too busy trying to prepare myself mentally.
As we approached the door marked '105', Alan pulled me into his arms, placing a kiss on my forehead lovingly.
"Would you like me to come with you?"
I took a breath. "I'll go in first, then signal you. But, I should tell you...its Alzheimer's, Alan. Her memory comes and goes."

He looked shocked, and I thought I saw a glisten of tears in his eyes, but he blinked them back. Before he could ask, my lips turned into a faint smile.
"I'm okay."

I took a breath, and opened the door.
I walked in.
My mother smiled up at me, and I smiled back. I sat down next to her.
"Hi, Mom."
Her face lit up. "Alice, my darling!"
I bit back the tears.
"How are you?" I asked her.
"Well, I've missed you. Catch me up, honey! Two years is too long!"
I laughed, "There's a lot to tell you, but there's someone I think you'll be interested to meet."
I stood up, and signaled out into the hall for Alan to walk in. As soon as he entered, my mom's eyes widened.
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Williams." Alan said, shaking my mom's hand.
My mom rose an eyebrow in that teasing Mom kind of way.
"I can't say I'm surprised. You always said you would snatch this man up, and I had no doubt."
Alan's eyes filled with amusement at my mother's statement, as he stared down at me. I just smirked.
I turned back to my Mom. "So, Mom--"

Just then, my mom's face changed.  Her face showed confusion.
"Who are you, and what are you doing in my room?!" She exclaimed.
That was all it took, and the tears fell.
"It's me, Mom. Alice, your daughter."

My mom's brows furrowed. "I don't have a daughter!"
I sobbed quietly as I watched my mom thrash about, calling for a nurse, who came rushing in seconds later.
Before the nurse could tell me, I nodded, signaling I was leaving.
I hid my face, crying softly into Alan's shirt as he led me out of my mother's room, my heart hurting.

He helped me into the car, and we sat in silence, as I sniffled, trying to pull myself together.

"It's painful...watching her deteriorate." I whispered, as Alan held me.
He grasped my face gently with both hands, making me look up at him, tears staining my cheeks.
"I'm not going to begin by stating that I know what you've been through, or how you feel, but do you know what I'm absolutely sure of, Alice?"
I shook my head no.
"You're strong, my love. Everything will be alright, I assure you."
I searched his eyes. "Really?"
The genuine look in his eyes made my heart skip a beat.

"I promise you, I will do everything in my power to make it so." He whispered.

I couldn't break my gaze away. "I trust you, completely."

Alan smirked attractively. "Good to know."

I smiled now, wrapping my hand behind his neck, pulling his lips down to mine. We shared a sweet kiss, full of promise.
********