29.

Alice's POV, the next morning
I groaned as I opened my eyes to the morning sun filtering through the cottage windows.
I sat up from my spot on the couch, looking around.
I noticed my phone was stuck in between the cushions. I pulled it out, and checked the time.
12pm.
My graduation commencement was in two hours.
My eyes widened, and I stood up on shaky knees, my head pounding as I fixed myself in the mirror above the fireplace. I didn't look that bad at all, I just had a bit of a headache from my hangover.
I noticed Daniel was nowhere to be found, so I started searching the house for him.
And guess where he was?
That's right.
Nuzzled up with Jamie in the bedroom.
I smirked at the sight, and walked into the room. I nudged his arm and he let out a groan.
His eyes opened seconds later.
"Take me home." I stated, crossing my arms, knowing smirk on my face.
Jamie stirred and her eyes opened as well.
"Alice..what time is it?"
I looked down at both of them.
"Noon."
Jamie's eyes widened in realization.
She pushed Dan out of the bed, and he landed on the floor. I snorted in amusement, as he stood up, rubbing his ass.
"Ouch, what the bloody hell was that for?!" He exclaimed.
Jamie looked to me, and we exchanged a knowing look.
"We have somewhere to be in two hours...don't we, Alice darling?"
I laughed, nodding. "That we do."
Dan's eyes widened then, "Oh yeah, your commencement. Let's get to it then!!"
I just rolled my eyes.
******
Like a bat out of hell, Daniel had dropped me off at my apartment, and at that point it was around 1pm. I blew him a friendly kiss as I got out of the car.
"See you in about an hour? I better see you there!" I pointed a finger in a stern motion.
Dan laughed, "You know I wouldn't miss it, Al."
I glared at him, but didn't respond as he drove away.
I approached my door, walked inside, and turned around, shutting it.
I felt arms wrap around my waist gently, and lips kiss my neck.
I smiled, turning around to face Alan.
"You're still here."
Alan chuckled, gripping my hands. "Where else would I be? If I remember correctly, a certain someone has a graduation ceremony to attend."
I laughed, placing a kiss on his lips, my hands winding around his neck. His hands pulled me closer to him, and I smiled against the kiss.
We pulled back, and he rose an eyebrow at me.
"Frisky this morning, are we?"
I smiled. "When am I not?"
Alan looked at me in amusement.
"How was the party?" He asked after a moment.
My stomach twisted in anticipation, but I managed to answer.
"It was fun. Well-needed, I'd say."
Alan nodded in agreement, before checking his phone.
"I believe you should get ready, don't you think?"
I gave him a look, and he just chuckled, gently pushing me into my bedroom.
"I'll be waiting right out here, Alice."
I smiled, as I walked into the bathroom where I had laid out my cap and gown.
I changed my dress into a baby pink, lace-sleeved chiffon dress with a flower texture.
I pulled on my gown, and adjusted the cap on my head. I took in a deep breath as I looked at myself in the mirror.
I walked out into the living room, where Alan was waiting.
His expression completely changed, and it took my breath away.
"Alice..."
He just trailed off, and I was surprised. He'd never been entirely speechless. I just smiled, and gripped his hands in mine.
*******
As Alan and I drove to my university, my anxiety was starting to rev up. Crowds of people were milling into the outdoor stadium where the ceremony would be held.
I felt Alan's gentle hand over mine.
"Just relax." He whispered.
I nodded, taking in a breath.
I looked at him. "Are you sure you want to be here?"
Alan's hand caressed my cheek, his gentle gaze boring into mine.
"Never have I been more sure, my dear."
I smiled, placing a kiss on his hand that was placed on my cheek.
"Then let's do this."

Alan and I walked hand in hand amongst the crowds. I could feel eyes on us at every corner, but I didn't care one bit.
Before I could step into the place, I was halted by my uni president.
"Miss Williams, I need you to do something for me."
I smiled, "Anything, sir."
He gave me a serious look. "I need you to stand in as valedictorian speaker. Claude has come down with the flu."
My eyes widened. "Are you kidding me?"
My president shook his head. "Afraid I'm not."
With that, he scurried away, and I looked to Alan in anxiousness.
His hands landed on my shoulders, forcing me to look up at him as he spoke. "Alright, this is short notice, yes, but all you have to do is speak from your heart. I believe in you, Alice."
I let out a breath, smiling despite my fear.
"You said that exact thing to me the first week we met." I commented quietly.
Alan smiled straight back. "It's still very much true."
My heart felt like it was swelling with joy. I opened my mouth to speak, knowing that it was time for me to say what I've been trying to gain the courage to utter.
Before I could, my president's voice came through the microphone.
"All graduates to their seats."
I looked to Alan, and he placed a sweet kiss on my lips.
"If you get anxious, just look to me."
I nodded, as hand in hand, we entered the stadium.
This was it.
*******