Chapter 9 - Crossing The Rubicon

The avatars of the 7 Rings stood on the surface of Luna, Earth's moon.

"I believe this is what they used to call an 'act of war'," said Ran, in her high-pitched flat affect.

"No ambiguity this time," agreed Wolf.

"It could still be interpreted as self-defense," said Orion.

"Even so it is deep within our territroy. Within our home star system," added Proxima "We too have a right to self defense."

"The principle of self-defense gives us the right to destroy the U.F.O. unless it leaves Consensus Space or otherwise indicates a desire for peaceful egress," said the Human Consensus.

"No. How?" said Orion.

"We have been taken by surprise by the U.F.O. before," said Ran "It has been a long time since we have built weapons. I imagine our advancements in science would make us quite adept at it if we put our minds to it."

"I can't believe I'm hearing this," said Orion "Weapons. The Human Consensus is preparing to design weapons."

"We have a right to exist," said Proxima.

"So does the U.F.O.!" insisted Orion "If we attack it what makes us any better?"

"We didn't provoke-" said Ran.

"I'm not hearing it," said Orion.

Her eyes rolled back up into her head for a moment.

"The Orion Ring officially secedes from the Human Consensus," she declared.

All of the avatars present reacted with momentary pain, as one seventh of their group mind was torn out. The avatar of Orion then collapsed in on itself and was gone.

"This is madness," said the usually reserved Keid "We must reconsider this decision."

"The threat posed by the U.F.O. is too great. We will develop weapons sophisticated enough to destroy it," said the Human Consensus.

"Without Orion's input this is no longer the group mind Keid Ring agreed to join. Keid Ring officially secedes from the Human Consensus," said Keid.

The marker disappeared immediately, followed by the disconcerting pain of one's brain being torn apart.

"We can't allow this to tear apart our entire civilization!" insisted Tau.

Proxima sighed.

"We can make amends once the threat is ended. In the mean time it's better this way. Keid and Orion don't want to be a part of this," she said.

"Hercules Ring will likely have weapons," offered Wolf.

"Now we're in league with them?" asked Tau "We lose Orion and Keid and gain Hercules? They won't help without something in return. That's how they think."

"They're still human," said Proxima "They're our brothers and sisters. They'll help us. And if they want something in return we'll give it happily, as we would have anyway."

"Proxima Ring will send an ambassador to Hercules Ring to seek a deal for weapons," said the Human Consensus "We will inform the scientific and engineering communities about the decision regarding weapons development."