04| tall girls

she felt the sweat trickle down her back as she jogged up to her friend on the track.

"hi," she said a little breathlessly. she smiled. 

"hey," she said. she looked a her and sighed. "i wish i was as tall as you. i'm so short. you get everyone's attention" ー in a bad way, she thought ー "and all the guys want you." 

not you.

she frowned. "no, you're not short. actually, compared to the rest of the girls, you're perfectly fine."

"do you think i'll still grow?" she asked.

"well," she said. she didn't want to lie to her. "my doctor said girls can still grow... but the most an inch after..."

"your doctor's lying."

her face contorted into anger. her eyebrows furrowed and her eyes glowed with rage. 

"whatever," she spat. she looked at her and muttered, "besides, no one wants to be fucking abnormally tall like you."

she took a step back, feeling the remainder of her heart crack. it was one thing if a stranger said something about her height and a whole other thing if it was her friend - the one person that she was supposed to trust, the one person who should have understood.  

she doesn't care. 

she doesn't understand. 

she'll never understand. 

with a new set of tears on her face and a lost friend, she watched as she jogged away from her on the track. 

farther and farther away from her.

and she felt like the distance between them was something that couldn't be covered.

slowly, but surely, she was left behind.