The Hero

The sun was warm on Tommy's back as he ran down the block back home. There were still frozen piles of snow everywhere but he stopped to take his sweatshirt off, his black t-shirt clinging to his body. He stopped at the corner of his street and put his hands behind his head, opening his lungs and taking in larger breaths.

Riley's pick up was parked on the curb in front of his house, a tire on the sidewalk. He laughed and picked up the pace. His lips curled into a smile as he thought of the night before. She was all he could think of these days.

Riley sat on the cement stairs in front of his door, her grey hood up and head down. Her arms were wrapped around her knees which were pulled up to her chest. Wisps of her dark hair whipping in the cold air.

"Let me guess. You're still drunk." He stood in front of her with his arms crossed, his body rumbling with laughter.

She said nothing as she remained still, looking at her feet.

"Come on inside. Its cold out here." He reached for the door behind her, but she still didn't move. He kneeled in front of her and placed a hand on her elbow. She immediately tensed at the touch.

"Ri?"

She was shaking. He draped his sweatshirt over her shoulders and rubbed her back.

"Ri, what's wrong?" He stared at her patiently.

Finally she lifted her head and pulled her hood back. Her hair was a mess and covered the sides of her face. Her dark sunglasses stared back at him.

He lifted his eyebrows. "Why aren't you in bed right now Ri, you look terrible." He chuckled as he brushed one side of her hair back behind her ear.

She tensed even though she knew he still hadn't seen what Ryan did to her. He had hit her on the other side of her face. Twice.

Her hands shaking, she let out a long breath and slowly pulled the sunglasses away from her face. With her other hand she brushed the rest of her hair back exposing her bruised face. She couldn't meet his gaze, though. So she focused on his feet in front of her.

Tommy was still, staring at the dark red marks on the side of her face. He stood up and rubbed his face with his hands. He turned and paced the walkway, breathing heavy but still silent. Finally, he kneeled back down in front of her.

"Riley. Look at me." His voice was low and gentle. He put his hands softly on her shoulders. "Please."

She closed her eyes and brought her face up to meet his. She swallowed hard, her throat hurt from crying so much after Ryan had left. She had sat against the floor in the kitchen, crying her eyes out. She frantically dialed Anna's number but still she wasn't picking up. She took in a couple breaths and left to find Tommy. She checked the gym first, Fenroy telling her that he had already left. She drove fast then, and got to his house in a huff. Slamming on the breaks and running up the steps. When he didn't answer the door she eventually lost her nerve and slumped on the stairs where she was sitting now.

She mustered up the strength to finally open her eyes. His bright blue eyes were now dark, staring back at her. Angry and pleading.

"Ryan?" His chest rose and fell heavily.

She nodded her head slowly.

"What else happened?" He closed his eyes, imagining the worst.

"Nothing." She managed to squeak out. He opened his eyes and his forehead crinkled in question.

"Are you sure?" He was sitting at her feet now, staring up at her.

She nodded assuredly. He brought her into a hug and cursed under his breath.