Chapter 41: Cale

I stare at her, awaiting her answer.

What will she say?

What does she have to say about Daisy?

What plan?

"I... I heard her father was looking for an employment out of town and I..." she starts warily.

My fists tighten until I'm sure they appear as white as a sheet of paper.

"What did you do?" I demand, feeling my voice become hoarse.

"I... I recommended a good work place in Puerto Rico... It was a good job deal to help him out..."

"Mom, what did you do?"

She looks at me faintly, her expression turning from worried or guilty to a sad nostalgic one. Thinking about something else before lowering her gaze.

"That's the first time you've called me Mom in the past 3 years. I'm not sure whether to like it or not. Some part of me wants you to see me as a woman and another wants you to call me Mom again."

"It's too late for that..." I whisper, feeling my wrists slightly loosen.

What is this? Sympathy? Compassion? Empathy?

I hate it.

It sickens me,

to think that I might actually feel sorry for her.

"What did you help Daisy's father with?" I ask her once again, my voice sinister and cold.

Her red eyes look up at me. She has been crying but I don't really care. She never cared when I cried. Not once after my 7th birthday.

"I showed him the job offer and he took it. I thought if he left for a year, so would Daisy. And she did and you suddenly had more time for me..."

"Did you know he was her father?" I ask in a very quiet tone that it slices through the silence. "Did you do that just to ruin my happiness?"

She remains silent, gripping her hands tightly together, making herself look small as she stares at the ground wide-eyed, with an emotion I can't quite place.

What is she thinking right now?

What is going through her mind?

"I didn't know who he was until after he took the offer." she silently replies, keeping her head down.

Is that shame? Regret?

For a moment my sympathy towards her wavers until it disappears completely after I recall everything she's to me so far. How could I forget? How could I forget those moments when I hated her the most?

Is she lying? She must be, but I've seen her like this before. I know when she's lying, right/ I would be able to tell right?

"I did get more of your attention afterwards, you seemed to want me... I loved that period, where things were good between us..." she continues.

Instantly a flashback comes to mind. It's half a second long, not even but it shows me everything I don't want to see, reminds me everything I want to forget.

"Why are you talking about that?" I hiss at her, my sympathy for her, long gone.

"Oh come on, you know you liked it... You couldn't get enough of it... Of me..."

"Stop it." I command in a low and husky voice.

"You loved it... I remember how you touched, your hands on my skin..." she continues in a dream-like voice, recalling all the memories that haunt my past.

"Stop it." I repeat, just a little louder, my voice breaking slightly.

"But you kept on coming back for more... You wanted me more than you wanted her, more than he ever wanted me."

"STOP IT!!" I yell covering my ears I find my legs struggling to hold me and I fall to my knees, hovering over the carpet.

"Sweetie?"

"SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!!" I yell as I try to silence both my mother and the voices inside my head.

I feel my vision clouding and I widen my eyes in pure shock. I'm crying? They keep streaming down my face as the voices keep on whispering, hushed nothings that seem to have every effect on me.

"Make it stop..." I whisper. "Make them stop..."

---

Hey guys!

So in this chapter, I'll let you guys wonder because it's too easy if I simply tell you everything. 😁

Wanna take a guess?

What do you think happens?