Chapter 6

Most of the day passed by in a blur because the teacher’s seemed lazy and gave us all busy work for the day. The only class I enjoyed where we got to do something useful was art. We got to work with paint today, which I’m usually not good at, but the teacher said my painting came out really good. She said that about most of my work, but it seems average to me.

          I shoved some books into my locker and took out a few notebooks I would need to study with before slamming it shut. Beck most likely left without me and even if he didn’t I didn’t need a ride. I go to the animal shelter a few times a week whenever I didn’t have much homework or felt really stressed out. Many of the other people volunteering at the animal shelter were extremely friendly and I’m welcomed there more than I am at home. It’s easier to relax around people that accept me and share a common interest.

          Instead of going out front where there was sure to be a group of people ready to harass me, I exited out the back door since it lead to the direction of the animal shelter. I took my phone out of my backpack as I trotted down the stairs and opened up my contact list in search of Jackson’s name after I sent a text to Beck that I didn’t need a ride home.

          He never had a problem with me going there, but he got boiling mad whenever I forget to call and tell him where I went. It’s hard for him to stand back and watch me attempt to be independent after what happened to me. There’s times when I feel like I’ve made him into someone unable to trust anyone and when he eventually has a daughter, he’ll always live in fear that she’ll have to go through what I did.

          “What’s happening?” a male voice answered that clearly wasn’t my older brother’s.

          “Is Jackson there?” I asked as I stepped up to the corner of the street. I watched the cars bolt down the street and waited patiently for it to be clear before I crossed.

          There was a silence through the phone at first and then a noise that sounded like something being dropped. “Yeah, but he’s busy. Who is this?”

          I frowned in confusion because I figured Logan would be able to identify my voice by now. “Rain.”

          “Oh.” More silence. “Is there a reason why you called?”

          “Can you tell Jackson I’m going to the animal shelter after school? I’m not sure how long I’ll be there for, though. So tell him not too long.” I replied and looked both ways twice before assuming it was safe to cross the street.

          “Ew, gross.” He responded. “Alright, whatever. I have to go.”

          He hung up the phone before I had the chance to reply and I turned the phone on silent, tucking it into my backpack. Almost five minutes later I was walking up the flight of stairs that lead to the animal shelter I volunteer at.

          Bells clattered together above my head as I opened the door and entered the animal shelter that always smells like dog shampoo. Dogs started barking from further back in the shelter and I smiled to myself in anticipation because I couldn’t wait to see what new animals we had.

          “Rain! I missed you!” Within seconds I was firmly wrapped in someone’s arms and shaken back and forth as the person laughed. The bubbly brunette smiled her bright smile with pearly white teeth and dimples and pulled away.

          “I know, it’s been forever.”

          “And whose fault is that?” she looked at me knowingly and I smiled innocently, walking around her to the counter to hide my backpack. I avoided going near Caden, who was on the computer because I know I’ll get awkward around him. I used to have a small crush on him, but it ended as soon as I realized my mate is Blake.