Chapter 30

For the whole week, Blake has picked me up and surprised me with a different date each day. They were absolutely amazing; ice skating, the zoo and even just sitting in the back of his truck and looking up at the stars. He smiled more and so did I, each of us happier than we’ve been in a long time.

          As he’s promised, we’ve been taking things very slow. He barley touches me, maybe his hands will slither around my waist or he’ll play with my hair, but nothing extreme. We kissed once and I was absolutely mortified afterwards because I had no idea what to do. He wanted to ‘practice’, but I asked him to take me home.

          Right now we sat at the kitchen table, an awkward silence settling around us. Jackson still wasn’t happy with Blake, even after everything he’s done for me this past week. He brought me flowers and gummy bears every day, both my favorite kind.

          “So are you up for dinner with my friends? They really want to meet you.”

          “Really?” I asked, wiping my mouth with my napkin and looking over at Blake as he ate his pasta.

          “Yeah, I’ve told them nothing, but great things about you.” He turned in his seat, wrapping his arms gently around my waist and pulling me closer. I breathed deeply, reminding myself that this is my mate. He cares about me and won’t hurt me like my dad did.

          He softly kissed me on the cheek, making me blush and look at my lap as everybody stared. No one is really used to us dating, except for Chloe, who absolutely loves it.

          I smiled up at him and he quickly pecked me on the lips, smiling right back at me. I wanted to cuddle with him on the couch and watch a nice movie and just enjoy being with my perfect mate.

          “Okay. Are they nice?”

          “They better be.” He growled, running his fingers through the back of my hair and looking down at me with a loving expression. “But they’re cool.”

          I nodded my head and stood up, putting my empty plate in the sink. The doorbell rang and since I was the only one up, I decided to get it. When I opened the door, I yelped when I was suddenly tackled in a hug, flashbacks passing before my eyes. The person pulled back and I calmed immediately when I realized it was my best friend.

          “Oh my God, Rosie, I haven’t seen you in forever.” I hugged her again, even tighter and she did the same. We stood there for a while before pulling back and smiling. I closed the front door so my dogs wouldn’t get out and walked towards the kitchen.

          “This is Rosie.” I introduced, watching her blush and give a small wave. Most of the guys glanced and went back to eating while Beck stared at her for a long time, shaking his head and continuing to eat.

          I excused myself, much to Blake’s protest, and dragged Rosie upstairs to my room so we could have some best friend bonding time. It’s been a while since I’ve last seen her and she’s bound to ask about my fading bruises.

          “What happened, Rain? I’ve been so worried. They put a search out for you and Chloe and only she came back. And the bruises, oh God, they’re terrible. What did they do to you?”

          I sighed, looking down at my lap and playing with my skirt. “My dad found me.”

          “I thought Jackson killed him.”

          “So did I.”

          She gasped, pulling me into a hug and growling, “I take it all back. I don’t like him anymore, that jerk! How could he do that to you?”

          I shrugged my shoulders and looked over my wall, where Blake hung up all my drawings and paintings, even the most gruesome ones. He said he loved them all, especially the ones I drew of us together. He says I’m really talented and wants to watch me draw.

          “I don’t know. It’s not the Jackson I know.”

          She frowned, apologizing for something she had absolutely no control over and standing up, looking over my wall of art. “These are amazing. Are you going to tell me about you and your little crush?”

          I blushed, but smiled nonetheless. “He’s not a little crush anymore. He’s my mate and we’re dating.”

          She turned around and squealed, tackling me in a hug and taking us both down on the bed. I laughed and she kept squealing in joy, letting go and rolling over next to me. “I’m so happy for you. Was he the one that yelled at us?”

          I winced. “Yeah.”

          “Bastard. I need to have a long talk with him.”

          I laughed and so did she, both knowing she would never have the guts to do that. Especially after he let her have it that one day.

          She rolled over and probed her head on her hand, looking down at me with a thoughtful expression. “What?” I asked, suddenly fearing what she was going to say.

          “Did you do it yet?”

          My mouth fell open in shock and I blushed like crazy, covering my face in embarrassment. “Rosie,” I dragged out. “You’re just like Chloe.”

          “What? As your best friend I have to know.”

          “We’ve been dating for a week and a half, calm yourself.”

          She rolled her eyes, suddenly looking worried. “What if he wants to? Are you going to be okay with it?”

          Shrugging my shoulders, I sighed and played with a piece of my hair. “I don’t know. He’ll want to soon and I’m definitely not ready.”

          “So tell him.”

          “I did. We barely kiss, he’s so gentle with me.”

          “Well, I’ll give him a piece of my mind.” She rolled over and held up her fists, punching the air and making me laugh. She started laughing, too and we ended up laying there, laughing until there was a knock on my door.

          “Come in.” I laughed, wiping away tears.

          Beck popped his head in and looked at the both of us keeping his eyes mostly on Rosie. “Just checking on you guys. Jackson said to.”

          I turned my head to face him and Rosie looked over me to see my brother. “Hi, Beck.” She greeted, waving her hand and smiling. I smirked to myself, already seeing her switching to my other brother instead of Jackson.

          “Hey, how are you?”

          “Good, thank you.” She smiled. I turned towards her and started laughing into my comforter, making her giggle and hide her face. We are such girls.

          “Well, okay.” He mumbled, leaving the door open and walking away. I just laughed harder and took a big breath, ready to call him back in, but Rosie quickly covered my mouth.

          “Don’t.”

          Again I couldn’t help but laugh and suddenly felt a pain in my stomach from all the laughter. I missed my friend so much; it felt great to finally have someone I could talk to. Chloe counts, but she just talks about me and Blake mating. And I’m not up to talking about that.

          “You like him.” I stated proudly.

          Suddenly her expression turned serious and she glanced at the door again. “Because he’s my mate.”