It is what it is.

Chapter Four: It is what it is.

Adam's POV.

Days have passed and work has been totally different and not in a good way. Let's not forget that I have a decision to make about marrying Halaat. My whole family has been asking me what my decision is, all my sisters keep on asking me the same question everyday - whether I want to marry Halaat or not. Ya Allah (Oh God) give my heart sabr(patience).

Even my father has been asking me the same thing but indirectly trying to make it less awkward. At work I see her and at home I dream of her. What could this be? Another love story with no happy ending or my heart playing tricks on me?

I had to leave the office as soon as possible, because my sister Mina is coming from Jeddah with her kids. I am sure she just wants to ask me the same question but just face to face. I waited for the elevator. The elevator doors open and I see her. The girl that's haunting my life. Halaat. She didn't even notice me she was busy on her phone. I enter the elevator and she's still on her phone. I had a feeling that her ignorance was a planned decision.

Suddenly the elevator stops moving. This usually happens when the generator is getting  fixed. I forget that they were fixing it today. The elevator stops at a random time and starts at a random time. Depends on the generator. I try to call my secretary but there was no cellphone reception. I forgot Halaat was in the elevator until suddenly I hear her heavy breathing. I turn around and I look at her, she's sitting at the corner of the elevator, phone on the floor looking hopeless and sacred while gasping for air.

"What's wrong?" I asked her concerned. She couldn't answer me since she was gathering air.

"I ... I am claustrophobic," she's says while breathing heavily. Claustrophobic? How am I supposed to clam someone who is afraid of confined places. I looked at her trying to think of solutions, I noticed how her eyes craved for help and how her body was helpless and weak.
I quickly press the emergency button in the elevator and just stood not knowing what to do.

Then she starts sweating, her breathing becomes slower and my hearts start racing, almost closing her eyes. The elevator starts moving. I spent ten minutes frozen not knowing what to do. Seeing her helpless made me feel strange. I didn't know what to do. My heart wanted to help but my brain froze. I tried to help her up but she declined my help. She rushed out of the elevator leaving her things behind. I carried her bag, cellphone and followed her.

She was standing in the parking lot, taking deep breaths and her moment. I, for one was embarrassed even to show my face. I didn't help her I didn't do anything to clam her down. I was frozen and she could have fainted. I could see from her face that she's furious but her eyes revealed another story. Her eyes was a gateway of many things, that included my curiosity. I gave her the bag and phone she left in the elevator. She took them and walked away like nothing had happened. Her silence intrigued me.

Halaat's POV

Ghabi, 'ahmaq laf(Stupid, idiot). Why didn't he try to help me? How proud can one be? I didn't even notice it was him in the elevator. I would have gotten out before he entered.

I almost died in there and he just stood there and watched like it was movie. How can my family possibly think that Adam is a good match for me. How can I marry an arrogant man? How can I spend everyday waking up to a heartless man, surely he will be the death of me.

Adam ruined my day. Now I'll have to live with that fact for the rest of the day. Luckily it was lunch time and I won't see him again. I got home and my mother was reading the Quran( the holy book in Islam) and my brother playing video games as usual.

"Assalam alaykum habibty," my mother said in her loving voice.

"Walikum Salam Ummi ," I replied trying to not to sound rude. I went and sat next to her, and rested my head on her laps.

"Hala have you made your decision?" my mother asked in her kind voice.

"No Ummi I haven't made my decision. Ummi what if I don't want to marry him?"

"Habibty why don't you want to marry him? Adam is from a good family, he is very responsible, very respectful and well mannered. Halaat my daughter, love will only be true after marriage. If you have no proper reason to decline the marriage. Then I advise you to marry him and Trust in Gods plan," mother adviced.

"Naam (yes) Ummi,"

"It's been two weeks Halaat how long will you take to make your decision, I talked to Adam's mum. She said that tomorrow is when you and Adam make the final decision, and I want to hear your decision before I hear Adam's," mother said. I kept quiet not knowing how to respond, my mother was right. How long will it take until I make my final decision? A few more weeks? A year ?

I went to my room and contemplated my mothers wise words. I then decided to pray, pray for my heart to tell me the truth, and to tell me the right choice. After prayers I then fall asleep. I woke up and I saw my phone vibrating. Two missed call from Jamila and one message from 'boss monster' also known as Adam.

As my heart throbbed and my mind tangled in thoughts. I sat there looking at the notifications. Why would Adam send me a message? Was this a sign? ....

***************
Sorry for the short story, building up suspense. ;) I hope you enjoyed, find out what happens in the next chapter.
Thanks for reading. ❤️