Illusive Happiness

Chapter Twenty: Illusive Happiness.

Adam's POV.

Halaat has been trying so hard to act okay. But I know she's not. I can tell from her artificial smile and her almost lifeless eyes that's she not okay. But the medicine is helping reduce the pain. Her faith is in Allah s.w.t as usual.

I love her so much, I don't know what I'll do without her. But I don't want to think like that. Tomorrow she's going for her operation. The doctor said she'll be able to proceed with the procedure. But I can't believe it how My Halaat got cancer, subhanallah. Just the other day we were talking about our future together, raising our kids and growing old together. And now I don't even know if we'll be able to see tomorrow. Allahu Akabar ( God is great).

I pray for my wife and my unborn child. Halaat has to live the life she deserves, she deserves happiness and nothing else. I want Halaat to forget how to cry. Her face should be smiling always and always be happy. I know she's hiding her pain, I haven't seen her cry since the day in the hospital. She's stoic and I don't want her to endure anything alone.

I hope she knows that my heart is in her hands. She doesn't know this but only her brown bold eyes can make me feel so happy. Her voice is a tune I yearn to hear whenever she's silent and her laughter that always irritated me before is now my reason of making her happy. Only to hear her laugh. Something is missing I don't know what it is but it's missing, her smile isn't the same anymore, she's barely enthusiastic and her eyes long for something.

And I am trying to figure out what it is. I still don't know what I should do. I feel like I am running out of time. She needs to feel, she needs to let out what's hurting her. Because she's carrying a child and the last thing she needs is a burden in her heart. Today I am going to talk to her, as her husband and as a friend. She needs me . So I'll leave work early. Maybe I'll take her for a drive for ice-cream or something. I don't need her worrying about the surgery.

I reach home about five o'clock, I greet my mum. I go to the room and I find Halaat watching the television. She's not even watching the programme, she looks like she's in deep thought. I walk over to her and kiss her on the forehead and greet her. I sit next to her on the sofa and she smiles at me. "How are you my wife?" I ask her.

"Alhamdulliah..."she says in a low voice.

"I missed you,"

"I missed you too," she replied.

"You are going to be okay, don't worry too much," I say to her. She's fidgeting with her hands, she's nervous I can tell.

"Okay," she replies. I move towards her and place my hand around her and pull her closer to me. I try to comfort her by talking positively. But it didn't seem to work because I looked at her and she started to silently cry.

"You want to go out for ice cream? I'll get you your favourite," I said. She laughs though tears are still rolling down her cheeks. She looks at me, faintly smiles and nods. Halaat stands up, gets her abya and wears it. We head downstairs hand in hand. We got in the car and I drove.

As we were driving, I started making small talk with Halaat. I couldn't help but notice her smile thats on her face. I glimpsed at her once or twice, maybe even more. "You look beautiful when you smile..." I complimented her.

"Hmm so when I don't smile I am ugly?" she said and softly chuckled.

"No, when you smile you become more beautiful," I explained.

"Oh really," she says and raises her eyebrows.

"Yes really. Obviously the baby is going to have your astonishing smile," I said to her.

"And your grey eyes," she says and looks at me. We started talking and she was laughing. Alhamdulliah she's laughing. I stared at her for a while. Halaat's beauty is from her happiness.

"Adam watch out!" Halaat yelled.

Out of nowhere a car drove straight towards them uncontrollably. Adam managed to make a quick turn. But when Adam made the turn, the car crashed into a light post. Blood and scars. An accident has happened....

Halaat's POV.

I am worried about tomorrow. Adam says it's going to be okay. But I feel other wise. I am not worried about me as much, but the baby. I just want the baby to be okay.

Adam came home today, he tried to make my mood better. He's always trying. After work he sits with me and talks and talks non stop. Sometimes he doesn't even talk about my sickness nor about the surgery. He talks about work. I feel like he's ignoring the fact that I am dying somehow. So I cry silently all by myself. I can't control my emotions, so I learnt how to cry silently. Adam wipes them away, with his love. He's always there for me. I love him, sometimes I feel "I love you" isn't enough for him. I have been taking my medicine and eating better. The doctor is positive towards the procedure.

I just want him to be happy. He's laughter, his not so funny jokes, his eyes that I get lost in, I just love him.

Today I cried in front of Adam, I couldn't help it. I just wanted to be with him. I love him. Adam offered to take me for ice cream, and I obviously said yes. I just wanted to go out with him and I did miss having ice cream. Adam couldn't stop starting at me, as I couldn't stop smiling. He says I am more beautiful when I smile. Hah well I know he can be corny at times so I can laugh a little.

Suddenly a car drives straight towards us, it didn't look like the driver was going to stop. So I yelled at Adam to watch out. Adam made a quick turn, the car uncontrollably spun until it hit a light post. Everything was going round and the last thing I remember is Adams face on the steering wheel. Blackout*

.............

End of chapter twenty! Twenty chapters of Modest Heart. Thank you so much for the votes and the comments.♥️

I am sorry for not updating as much actually for not updating at all. Sorry.
This is it guys. The End. 😜
I am just joking, or am I ? hmm

What do you think will happen in the next chapter. Comment your predictions.
Hint : "Life does go on but not the same way."

Thanks for reading:)