Chapter 21

December 22nd

"You hit him... with a bible?" Caleb repeats slowly after me.

I nod.

"What were you trying to do? Smack the Holy Spirit into him?!" Caleb pinches the bridge of his nose, shaking his head.

"As if that could fix him." I snort. I open my small bag of chips I got from the vending machine down the hall.

"You know my hospital room isn't the place to avoid my brother." Caleb comments as I stuff a few more chips in my mouth.

"Yes, but you're my best friend. I'm supposed to come over and binge eat and talk about my problems." I argue.

"It's been two days." he groans.

"One and a half." I correct.

Caleb rolls his eyes. "Bridgit. You can't avoid him forever just because you ran into your ex. You did nothing wrong."

"M'kay first off he's not an ex. He's a mistake. Second off, I hung up on Shane to talk to this guy. Shane will never forgive me for that."

"You're so stupid. I'm calling him." "You call him and I push your nurse button." "Your mom's on duty. If anything she'll help me here! Hand me that thing," he reaches for the nurse remote. I grab it out of his reach.

"I don't need another parent lecture thanks." I sneer.

"Bee, just talk to him." Caleb begs. He's got the same eyes as Shane, just a little more green, which makes them hard to resist.

"I'm afraid he'll hate me." I mumble. I hung up on Shane to 'catch up' with Stephan. Then proceeded to lock myself in my room for two days. Shane's not gonna understand that.

Caleb scoffs at me. "I highly doubt he hates you."

"You don't know that." I bite another chip in half.

"I get to go spend Christmas Eve with my family in a few days. Come?" Caleb offers.

"I don't think you understand what the word 'avoid' means." I shake my head.

Caleb raises his bed upward.

"You're coming. This could be my last Christmas..." he sighs dramatically.

"Oh!" I scoff. "You are not using the cancer card right now." I smack his arm.

"I'm feeling quite faint... Don't know if I can make it to the 26th..." he does a weak cough.

"You're just like your brother." I groan.

He smiles up at me. "So I've been told. My house around 7?"

"Fine." I get up and toss my empty bag of chips in the trash.

"Can I ask you a personal question?" Caleb speaks up.

"Uh, sure I mean- I guess. I mean as long as you don't ask something stupid like what color of underwear I'm wearing." I tease.

Caleb shrugs, as if it were common knowledge already.

"So have you and Shane... ya know?" he winks.

"Caleb!" I screech.

"What? I'm curious. Shane doesn't talk to me about that stuff."

"I wonder why! Caleb that's none of your business!" I shake my head

"So you have?"

"No!" I screech again. "We've been official for like a week." I roll my eyes.