Chapter 4

There was nothing I could do but pray Shane stayed put.

I could not simply focus on my mother's birthday when I had a drunken teenager upstairs.

Dinner could not go fast enough either. I considered faking a stomach ache but I couldn't do that to my mother.

"So Bridge, do you like it here?" my aunt asks.

"Yeah." I nod quickly. I didn't like the situation I was in or the fact that I had to lie to my family right now, but hey, that's life I guess.

No one gives my reaction a second glance but my aunt.

"Bridgit, would you help me with the dessert?" Oh lovely. I swallow the lump in my throat and pull my chair out, excusing myself.

I trudge to the kitchen behind my aunt.

When we are in the confinement of my home, she turns to me. "What's going on? You look like you're about to announce a pregnancy." I snort.

"Oh thank God! I don't need to be an aunt at 27." My aunt holds a hand over her heart. I smile at her.

"What's up kid?" She leans against the counter.

I bite my lip and debate whether to tell her my situation or not. "If I explain later, will you cover for me?" I ask. "I expect full details before bed." she nods. At times like this I really do believe my aunt is younger than her generation. She goes to bring out dessert on her own and I quickly run upstairs.

Shane is gone.

I groan. That's until I hear noise in my room.

I slowly open my door, finding Shane chugging a bottle of water.

God, he even looks breathtaking when he's drinking water.

When he's done, he notices me. "I found a bottle and some Advil on the dresser." he offers a small smile.

I sigh in relief.  "Are you okay?"

He nods slightly, avoiding my eye as he examines my room. I watch him.

He stumbles upon a few pictures of my family and I.

"Is this-?"  he squints at the photo I look with my grandparents when I was 8. I nod.

"You look like her." I smile sadly and thank him.

He looks over my pin board and stops. He moves the photo to see it better. It's one of my cousins and my older brother with me in the middle. We stood proudly in Alabama Crimson Tide jerseys.