5. Unexpected encounters.

The next several weeks were full of different activities for me, I was settling down at a new place and getting my life back together. Every single person around me was extremely helpful and welcoming, my mood was getting better with each minute. Shirley has placed me in the same room I had the first night, which I liked very much. She and Jonathan decided, that since I'm staying for a longer time, I needed a closet, so they brought me one from the attic. It was huge and frankly I did't have enough clothes to fill even the half of it, but just having it in my room made me feel more at home. It was grand, made of dark wood with floral carvings on the doors, gorgeous. 

My work at the clinic was also becoming more systematized - during the first week I was getting acquainted with the way Doc Evans handled things, and boy he had his own ways for sure. At the beginning I was mostly observing, but on my second week I was trusted with vaccinating towns pets, a couple of castrations and had even done a solo operation - sterilizing a cat. The more major cases we were handling together, like patching up some dog's leg that got caught in a bear trap, or helping a horse give birth. All in all I could see how Doc needed help in the clinic, since there was always something to do. I can't imagine how he did it on his own, since as I've been told by Jonathan, he has never hired help, apart for the receptionist named Daisy, who was also a kind old lady. Soon Doc Evans became pretty relaxed in my company and I found the time spent with him very entertaining, he was a nice old guy. I also got to meet a lot of people, and everyone seemed pretty awesome, I began growing on to this town.

It was the end of the third week when Shirley insisted to take me to the hospital for a check up on my pregnancy. I have taken a half day off from the clinic, Doc Evans didn't seem to mind, we didn't have any visitations scheduled anyway and he also was planning to go out of town for the weekend to visit his sister in a neighboring town, that would leave me on emergency calls in case something happened. Apparently I was trustworthy enough to leave me the keys to the clinic, but it also forced me to get a new phone, so that people who needed urgent vet help could reach me. We decided to kill two rabbits with one shot and drive by the mall after the check up. 

Shirley seemed way more excited about this checkup, than me, but I knew it was necessary. I didn't care about the way this baby was conceived, I loved him or her already and had no intentions on giving it up or getting rid of it, so I agreed to go and get some medical proof that everything was going fine. 

The hospital wasn't very crowded when we arrived, so it didn't take long to get an appointment with the gynecologist. The doctor was a nice middle aged lady with long blonde hair, big blue eyes and plumb lips. Her handshake was firm and confident and the look in her eyes was warm and caring. Apparently it was a common thing for the people in this town, which I found pretty appealing. 

"Hello, Emily. My name is Dr. Green, I will be your doctor.", she said in a soft melodic voice.

"Nice to meet you, doctor.", I replied politely.

"Shirley, nice seeing you again!", she gave Shirley a warm hug. 

"Same, Lara! Now come, take care of my girl here!", Shirley turned on her mother mode.

"Off course,", Doc smiled and then turned to me. "Follow me. Is Shirley joining us?"

"Yes, sure, if she wants too", I replied. I didn't want to drag her in there with me, but honestly I would feel more comfortable with someone to hold my hand. Usually it's the father, which in my case was impossible. 

"What are you talking about! How can I not want to join!", Shirley said with an offended look to which I laughed lightly, but rather nervously. 

We went into a nice pale pink painted room with a medical table in the middle, a chair right next to it and some machines near the walls.