22. Life ain't boring

My life is not boring. Did I say that my life is boring? Well, it's not anymore. It turned out to be the calm before the storm, just as I though. Maybe I should start practicing positive thinking? You know this philosophy when you think only good thoughts and with that summon good things in your life? Maybe, just maybe it was my fault for thinking I had bad karma and thus attracting all this madness to come my way?

It all started right the next day - I woke up with Shirley already gone to god knows where, and instead of her there was Lena helping me get out of bed. We ate breakfast together and that's when I realised, that my 'having a nanny' time has begun, because it appeared that Lena had nowhere else to be except for with me. At first it was fun, we were close after all, but then I began noticing her weird behavior: every 10-15 minutes she would stand up and go to the window to stare at the woods squinting her eyes in concentration. And even if I would be telling her something at that time, her attention seemed to stray in a completely different direction. The woods. At some point I got pretty fed up by repeating my thing for the fifth time, so I asked her what she was doing, but she would distractedly answer me with a dry 'huh? wha? Uhm... nothing, what were you saying?'. And you know, I am not a complete moron, even doc Evans seems to think so, so I quickly put two and two together and figured she was looking for danger. That has simultaneously put me on edge and calmed me down. The first one because of how real the danger I supposedly was at, the later because I truly believed, that Lena could protect me. She was a warrior and a werewolf. 

Then at lunch time a truck arrived. Lena just sniffed the air and silently walked to the door to open it. The visitor was no other than doc Evans, and while I was happy to see him, the goal of his visit turned out far from neighbourly. Ladies and gentlemen, he brought me a gun, and 20 minutes later I found myself in the back yard trying to shoot cans. Doc Evans brought me a classic - Ruger LC9s moder, which he said was perfect for me - only half a kilo in weight, small and with a very light kickback. So the next hour was spent shooting. Never ever have I thought I would be shooting a gun. Never. But doc Evans was playing it safe, he thought that even with someone constantly around me I needed a back up plan. That's why I was always to carry a gun. Oh, and the bullets were made of silver. 

After my not so very successful shooting session (I manage to hit the can only once out of I don't know, a hundred attempts?), doc has muttered to himself a not very polite 'now I see where your brain lacks...', I was sent away to my bedroom for a nap, I didn't have a say in this one as well. I was brought out of my slumber after some two hours by the smell of food and the sound of moving furniture. I chuckled to myself in thought that maybe they all have gone completely mad and are now building a fortress out of chairs and cupboards, and that would be just hilarious. But then I chastised myself, because after all it was all my fault for bringing all that trouble into their peaceful world. So feeling utterly devastated and ashamed I didn't call anyone to help me get out of bed and spent the next 15 minutes doing it myself. Yes, I was that huge. 

I tentatively stepped out of my room and saw a surprisingly excited Shirley scrambling in and out of the room across from mine with cleaning supplies. Her face was beaming, eyes glowing, and considering all that was happening, I saw it as a good sign and felt bad for my foul mood, so in order to not spoil her mood for whatever reason it was as good as it was, I plastered a smile on my face and went to the kitchen.

"Hey! What's with all the activities today?" I asked no one particularly, just hoping someone would pay me any attention. The house reminded more of a mental asylum than the cozy den I was used to by now - the twins were fighting with each other for a tub of ice cream, Lena was running along with Shirley, and since I was awake, they switched to vacuuming and arguing over the horrid noise, Jonathan was rubbing his temples in exhaustion, and doc Evans as usual had his arms crossed and leaning on the kitchen counter with one of his eyebrows raised. 

"Nick is coming." he said in a bored tone.

"So?" I asked confused.

"So? SO?!" I heard Shirley screaming from another part of the house. Her rapid footsteps followed and she flew into the kitchen while screaming and waving her hands in the air. "My baby is coming! We haven't seen him in over a year, and he's finally coming home!" At the end of her rant her eyes became all glossy, and then a panicked expression took over Jonathan's face while he rushed to her side to wrap her in a soothing embrace. 

"Calm down, darling. He'll be here soon."

That was the first time I saw Shirley so emotional and that Jonathan being so frightened. Wow, I guess all this mate thing is really awesome. Not for me, though. Nope, no man shell have me again. He maybe a good man, but no, nope, no way Jose. Nope. I'm ok on my own. I have my family now, that's all I need. Keep telling yourself that. Said my inner voice. I just ignored it, I knew my truth, that's that, basta. 

"But that's amazing! Congratulations, guys! You must be missing him big time!" I said still with a huge grin. 

"Yes, of course, he's our boy!" Said Shirley somehow outraged, as if I insinuated that her love wasn't big enough. I chuckled at that. A slight pang of envy settled in my heart - do my parents miss me? I did miss them, yeah, but it was their choice to shun me, and I was hurting, that was unfair, so unless they make the first step,  I ain't doing nothing. 

As if sensing the direction of my thoughts, Shirley broke out of Jonathan's embrace and replaced him with me, pushing some air out of me on the way. I laughed, all jealousy forgotten. 

"We are preparing his room, it was deserted for a while now, needed dusting and all..."

"Sure" I smiled warmly at her. I hope we'll get along with Nick, if would be horrible if not. 

:Anyway, since you're awake, you need to eat! Sit!" And the sentimental Shirley was gone, the bossy one back. Again I laughed and obediently sat at the kitchen table. Twins turned to me with huge grins on their faces, even Seamus had this boyish glint in his eyes.

"Guess what, Ems?" Simon almost screamed at me.

"What?" 

"I saved you some ice cream!" - how proud he was of himself! 

"Geesh, thanks!" I rubbed my hands together in excitement, it was ice cream after all. 

"Yeah, and who bought the ice cream?" Seamus furrowed his eyebrows in Simon's direction.

"Does it matter? I saved it from the vultures so that Ems could enjoy the exquisite taste of it!"

"Yeah, except that the only vulture here is you!"

"Unnecessary details!" Simon brushed Seamus away. Seamus rolled his eyes and turned to me. 

"Emily, you see who's the good guy here, right?" eyebrows raised expectantly at me.

"Sure, you are. And Simon as well, for keeping his urges under control, that's something, right? It's the effort that counts, so you both are my heroes now!" was my conclusion. They both beamed at me, until I forged an angry glare and said: "Now hand me the ice cream. NOW!"

They both scrambled to their feet, Simon almost throwing the tub my way and Seamus carefully handing me the spoon, as if I would bite his hand of. I tried keeping the glare, but the scene was so hilarious, that I couldn't contain my laughter. 

"Congratulations, you've got yourself two puppies. Good luck getting rid of them now." said a still bored doc Evans. 

"Meh, I'm fine with that." I just shrugged my shoulders and dug into the ice cream. I didn't even notice how fast my tube ended, with all this friendly banter around me, but I was suddenly startled by the bang. I jumped in my seat and dropped the spoon to the floor, the sound deafening in the quiet of the kitchen. Wait, when did it become quiet? I looked up and saw the twins and Lena looking on something behind my back with confused expressions, so I naturally turned around to look at this 'something myself. Well, the 'something' turned out to be a 'someone', and that someone was a carbon copy of Nathan, minus the calm aura around him and replaced with anger. Here in front of me was another werewolf and he was livid. After a few moments my eyes finally met his and I realized, that he was not just mad, he was angry with me?...