17. All eyes on me

Soon enough we finished our drinks and it was time to get back to Lisa and my exam results. A different kind of worry plagued my mind, back to mundane things and away from the supernatural. Slowly we made our way back to the auditorium (stopping at the toilet once again, because let's face it, pregnant ladies have weak bladders and a lot of nerves). Lisa met us by the entrance with a huge grin on her face, but for the love of God I couldn't determine weather it was a good one meaning that I passed, or the one that proved that all the students indeed are morons. I sure hoped it was the first one, for never in my life have I ever failed a test and it would just be humiliating. With enormous amount of excitement she waved my stack of paper in front of doc Evan's face and as hard as I tried to spot a grade in this blur of sheets, I couldn't.

"Adrian, this is why I insist you start teaching! Not a single mistake, you hear me? Not. A. Single. One!"

I huge breath escaped my lungs, I did it! Now a huge smile was plastered on my face as well, and even do Evans hade a satisfied look on his face.

"I told you you could do it!" And for the first time in the time we've been acquainted he gave me a hug. It was a bear hug, but a warm and comforting one. And a proud one. Tears welled in my eyes, because for the first time in a very long while someone was proud of me.

"Thank you." I whispered into his chest and his hug tightened even more. His chin rested on my head and for a minute we just stayed there like that. The feeling of family surrounded me and I thought that maybe that is how hope feels like, maybe everything would be fine with my life and the pack will accept me, and my baby will have a bright future, surrounded by caring people and will never have to experience sadness like I did. And maybe for me it was also a start of a new and better life.

Soon enough the moment faded and it was time to get back to reality. We broke our hug and turned back to Lisa.

"Congratulations, Emily! We just need to finalize your documents and in a short while you'll be a brand new graduate!" Lisa shook my hand and turned to doc Evans.

"Let's pay a visit to the dean while he is still here, get his signature and then the secretary will do the rest."

Doc turned to me with that proud smile still on his face.

"I say you enjoy the sunny weather here on the bench while we do all the paper work, that fine with you, girlie?"

"Sure, thanks."

And with that I limped to the nearest bench and closed my eyes in satisfaction. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, students rushing to their classes, but for me... a huge page in my life was turning and I decided to just reel in this feeling for a while.

I don't know how long I sat there enjoying the gentle rays of July's sun, deep in my own world, but soon something changed. My baby kicked. With a small smile I placed my hand on the exact spot where she kicked and gave out a small laugh. She was communicating for the first time. A warm feeling settled in my heart. This was my child, my baby girl, a life I was creating. Screw the circumstances of the conception, screw all the pain and horror I went through that night. Screw everything, my child just kicked me for the first time! And then she kicked again, this time harder, but still not painful, so I smiled again.

"Hey there, baby girl," I cooed to my stomach. "I love you, mommy loves you..."

I chanted this over and over again while she continued giving me her first kicks right there, on the bench in front of the university I just graduated from. What more could I ask from life?