28. Firsts interrupted

I knew it. I knew that all of this happiness wouldn't last. I knew that something was bound o happen to spoil it all, to crush it again, to crush me again. I only hoped that I would have more time to enjoy life while I have the chance, but no. How cruel was it to taunt me like that and then snatch the happiness right from my hands with one simple phrase: "We've got a problem". 

Once again we were all seated in the kitchen. Well, some of us seated, and some standing. Only this time Nick sat right next to me, gently squeezing my hand in a gesture of silent support. 

"What's going on?" He asked in his stern warrior voice, that  I heard for the first time. And might I add - it was hot. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't going to do anything about it, I'm still heavily pregnant, and we've only met a couple of days ago, and well, sex was still a sketchy subject to me, and yes, I had a stalker after me, so there were obviously more pressing matters than that. But still, I can't argue with the fact that Nick in his warrior mode was hot. 

"We've got another letter." said doc Evans with his brows furrowed. 

"Show me." was all Nick said, and it sounded like a command. No, it was a command. And no one argued. Doc Evans silently passed the yellow envelope to Nick, who accepted it with one hand, the other one still holding mine. Then he looked at me, squeezed it again and let go to open the envelope. The pictures that fell out of it had my breath rush out of my lungs. It was me alright, but that was not the most disturbing part. The fact that in the pictures was me in the swing in our back yard was. That meant that he was here. And everyone missed him. How was it possible? We were in a pack of wolfs, who's noses were so powerful they could smell a fly, and they missed a stalker taking pictures of me in our back yard... 

A low growl escaped Nick's mouth and my eyes darted in his direction. Now that was scary. 

"When were the pictures taken?" he asked calmly, but I saw that he was on the verge of... something. I couldn't put my finger to it, but he was barely keeping it together. 

Lena was the one who spoke.

"I think it was before your arrival, two or three days prior."

"How come no one smelled him?" he asked again.

"That is the question we all would like to know an answer to." said Nathan. "Andrew, any ideas?"

Andrew was looking even more grimly, than doc Evans. 

"Non, Alpha. I can't explain it. We had warriors surrounding the house since the day we found out Emily was a healer. And they are good, there's no way anyone could walk pass them unnoticed. It is a mystery to me. Unless we have a rat amongst out own, which I doubt, there has to be some explanation."

"Maybe they are masking their scents?" Suggested Jonathan. 

"Maybe they are. If so, we need to double the guards." said Nathan. 

"I don't like it. I don't like it at all." doc Evans said quietly.

"Your not alone in this one." Jonathan replied.

"Doc, any news from the university?" asked Nathan.

"Yeah, nothing solid, unfortunately." replied doc Evans. "Their chief of staff said that there was a guy, who claimed to be Emily's brother. He told them some soppy story about a family fallout, flashed a couple of pictures, and even though they are not supposed to, they gave him the clinic's address. The weird thing is, no one can remember how he looked like." 

"That's odd..." said a confused Shirley. 

"Indeed." Nathan agreed. "Do you have any ideas of why they don't remember?"