Chapter 8

Bek~

"You!"Horus exclaimed. at the woman.

"Just shut up and stay out of my way."the woman said rudely as she walked past him. I gave Horus a glance then looked back towards the woman. The snake and it's rider was now so close that I could smell the snakes wretched breath.

"Pretty girl, you don't belong in battle."the rider said to the woman. "BURN HER!"the rider exclaimed to the snake. The snake went to  blow fire from it's mouth when it was then revealed that it couldn't.

"What a lovely creature you are. Let me help you."the woman said. LOVELY CREATURE?! Well I guess it would be a 'lovely creature' if you thought trying to kill Horus and I as lovely. Wait....Horus and I? I then felt that feeling in my chest again and ignored it again. She removed the spear from the snake's mouth. The rider yelled once again, but the creature didn't listen to her. "You are so very cold. Warm yourself. I command you." Suddenly the snake started to blow fire onto itself and eventually exploded. Cool! The woman and I ran and jumped into a pit followed by Horus. I fell on top of the woman. We ran out of there and were able to get to safety.

Horus~

"Outrageous."I said angrily towards Hathor. You see, she was my best friend. That was until I learned that she had been sleeping with the enemy in my absence.

"You're welcome for saving your life."

"So while I was sitting blind in my father's tomb, you shared a bed with the God who pulled out my eyes."I said angrily once more. Our argument just got more and more pointless.

"We're breaking into Set's temple. Horus is going to kill him. Now will you two please stop arguing? You're giving me a headache."Bek said.

"How were you planning to get in?"Hathor asked. I gestured towards Bek.

"Her?" I felt something in my chest, but ignored it.

"She's seen the plans. She knows the way."I explained to her.

"What about the Sphinx? Have you forgotten about that?" Before I could respond, Bek spoke.

"Sphinx?"she questioned. I nodded.

"Set captured it to guard his fire. It will kill mercilessly all who enter if they cannot answer its riddle."Hathor explained. Bek looked at me with her gorgeous big brown eyes. Why am I thinking these things?! She is only a mortal woman.

"You can answer the riddle, right?"she asked hopefully.

"We shall ask Thoth for help."I said to the both of them. Again we began to argue.

Bek~

After all of there arguing, they finally learned to shut the hell up and we made our way to a swamp we had to walk through. They began 'talking' again, but I didn't care to listen. I laughed as the woman, who I learned's name was Hathor, tripped and fell while Horus continued walking. "Be a dear and fetch me some clean water."she demanded as she through a container at me.

"Would it kill you to say 'please'?"I asked her.

"I'm really not in the mood to argue. Go get it or me. I command you."she said commanding me once more.

"You're all insane, aren't you?"I asked throwing Hathor her container back.

"What's his name?"she asked. She thinks I'm in this for a man? Fat chance.

"She's my sister and her name is Zaya. Not that you care."I muttered the last part. I looked down.

"I'm so sorry."she said apologetically. What is with all the apologizing?! I was starting to grow tired of the word 'sorry'. Hathor and I began walking side-by-side.

"I promised her a proper home after our family died a few years ago. Money for her own family. Respectability. I gave her nothing."I said full of guilt.

"She wouldn't have still been with you if she didn't love you."Hathor said, trying to sound encouraging.

"I'm going to make it up to her."I said. "Horus is going to bring her back."

"He said that?"Hathor asked sounding astonished. I nodded.

"I know it's hard to see past his short temper and proclamations of revenge but....He's not so bad." I felt that feeling in my chest again. Why does this keep happening?

"It is hard to see."Hathor agreed. We eventually caught up with Horus. "There it is."Horus said bringing up a vine that opened a door inside a tree. We walked through the pathway.

"Is that him?"I asked. Then again, all of them looked the same.

"Wise Lord of the Sacred Word, we seek your counsel."Horus said sounding very reluctant. Thoth began talking as if we weren't even here.

"You! Turn around."he said pointing towards Hathor.

"You prefer the view from behind?" Gross.

"No, I....Well yes." Once again, gross. "You know I can't lie. Turn. I'm not going to risk looking into those tricky eyes of yours." I smirked. At least someone else knows how to stand up to a God, even if it is from the same species.

"Forty-seven."Thoth said.

"Excuse me?"Horus asked.

"The percentage of knowledge I have so far recorded. I'm not even half done."

"Thoth, I only need...."

"The answer to the riddle of the Sphinx." This guy was good. "A child could deduce why you're here. Go ask the riddle and come back and relay it to me. I'll solve it."

"One of us would have to die."Horus said. It ain't gonna be me.

"Well, draw lots."

"Come with us."Horus pleaded.

"Ha!"

"One night. I'll give you one night."Hathor bargained. I rolled my eyes.

"No you won't."Horus said approaching Thoth. Horus began to plead his case with Thoth, but it was obviously getting nowhere. Thoth then pulled the father card.

"Your father dropped his guard. That was not only extremely stupid, but know I'm forced to write down everything I know as a defense against the remote possibility that Set's war finds me."

"I'm sorry that the corpses of my parents have inconvenienced you."

"Apology accepted. Now, get out!"Thoth commanded. Horus threw the God against a table.

"But you have to help us!"Horus yelled. The other 'Thoth's' drew their swords.

"Careful. I outnumber you." I, out of my own stupidity, intervened.

"It's fine. I'll do it."I said in hopes that one of their lives would be spared.

"I thought you were a stray baboon."

"A baboon?! Oh I'll show you a baboon."I said threateningly.

"No you won't"Horus said. "I told you I'd be the one to face the Sphinx."

"Your chance of failure is overwhelming."

"I'm sure. But before it kills me I'm going to tell it that I asked the God of Wisdom to come but he was afraid he'd get the answer wrong." Thoth looked offended.

"This is the cleverest strategy you could devise? Playing on my ego? How vain do you think I am?" Everything got silent for a moment. Finally, he agreed. I smirked that my strategy worked. We followed him out the door.

"Well done."Horus said to md.

"Thank you."