To Whatever End

Rowan's POV

Aelin was in the bed, I could feel her breathing beside me, steady enough, but I could feel a few uneven breaths. I listened for my anything, her breathing became more and more unsteady. I turned to her, she was thinking something through, I knew that face, I saw it all the time when she came up with plans. I swear, if she was coming up with one of those awful plans that would be self sacrificial right now, I would- I don't know what I'd do, but I'd make her regret it. I would never forget when she almost died in the castle that day. I could never forget  that phantom pain in my side. I leaned over and kissed her forehead, "Are you okay, Fireheart?" she looked over, I looked into her alluring eyes and smiled, she was too perfect.

"I'm fine, Buzzard," I chuckled, and kissed her cheek.

"I heard your breathing, it was uneven, are you okay?" she sighed and looked to my eyes. I couldn't help but stare into hers. I could see fear, but I could also see that loving gaze. I loved it when she looked at me like that, like we were the only two people in the world, like she could see past my skin and powers, and see my heart. I took a strand of her hair and twisted it.

"I love you so much, Fireheart," I told her, "I've suspected it ever since we were separated, but I've  known for sure ever since that day when magic was released. I love you more than you could ever imagine, more than you would think possible. I knew from the start there was something more to you, something below the surface, I guess we both had something under the surface: love. I didn't know how to handle my feelings, I kept thinking of Lyria. But I just knew, at one point I gave up trying to hide it, and embraced it." she looked into my eyes and kissed me. She pulled back and looked to my eyes again.

"I love you more than I thought possible, I thought that everything that had happened between me and Chaol was love, but compared to this, compared to you, he was no more than a crush. I want to be with you all of my life. I want to be immortal, just so I can live hundreds of years sleeping beside you, cuddling up with you, and maybe some little ones along the way. I want to be yours, I want you to be mine, forever. I want to be with you until the end of the world, until my dying breath, I want to be with you," she kissed me again, and I could feel the tears down her face, colliding with mine.

"Would you ever consider," she took a breath but I let out a "Yes, fireheart?"

"Do you ever consider marriage?" Thank goodness, this was what she wanted to tell me.

"All the time, Fireheart, all the time." She smiled shyly.

"Would you consider it... soon?" she asked hesitantly.

"I will consider it whenever you want marriage. I would marry you now if you asked." She looked down, then her eyes met mine,

"Would you marry me? Tonight? I know it's rushed but-" I didn't have to ask to know why she'd want to marry me soon. I didn't want to ask, I knew. The chances to win this war were pretty small, I cut her off,

"Yes, Aelin Ashryver Galathynius, I will marry you. You don't have to state why, I love you and you love me, we are both committed, and that's enough."

She started crying and I wrapped my arms around her body, tiny compared to mine. I let her lay her head on my should and cry into shoulder. She looked up at me, her eyes puffy, and sniffled, "I don't have a wedding gown," she cried.

"And I don't have a tuxedo, but I still want to marry you. I will get the captain and tell him what we need, you can get ready," she nodded and I left to get the captain of the ship.