XXXVI • 36

"Wake up, (N/N)."
You opened your eyes and blinked blearily. You couldn't quite identify where you were yet, but John was standing above you, gently shaking your shoulder.
"Hey there, stranger." He smiled softly at you.
You sat up, and, as the rest of your brain awoke, you realised you were leaning against something cold and hard.
Sherlock.
John gave you his hand and helped you up.
"I-i didn't know I'd fallen asleep." You said quietly.
"It's okay sis. I'm just glad I found you." He gave you a half smile. "How're you feeling?"
It was default. You supposed it was a doctor thing.
"Sad." You answered, honestly.
He looked down at his shoes for a long moment. "I know. I'm sorry." He paused, then, "Let's get you home."
You nodded. Staying here wasn't doing a bit of good.
You buttoned Sherlock's coat and followed John. The coat came down to your ankles and you couldn't help thinking about how he'd been so much taller than you. It'd always been a comfort, to hug him and lay your head on his chest. You loved feeling his heartbeat. You especially loved it when he'd hold you there and stroke your hair, then kiss the top of your head. He'd do that when you were upset.
He'd have done that now.
Tears sprung to your eyes, rather suddenly. Even you hadn't expected it. "(N/N), com'ere." John stopped walking and gathered you to him. He didn't say anything, he knew he couldn't, so he just held you.
You cried into his shoulder for a minute, then a thought crossed your mind that you hadn't considered before.
"John?"
"Yeah?"
You looked up at him, your face still red from crying. "What if he's not dead?"

John's POV:

"(F/N)..." I looked at you, uncertainty on my face.
"No, please, just hear me out. His last words to you, before goodbye, I mean. He said 'I will miss you dearly.' If he knew he would be dying within a minute, he wouldn't have said he would miss you. You would miss him, sure. But he wouldn't miss you. He'd only say that if he was going away for some time. John, maybe he's just gone for awhile." You looked up at me with so much hope in your eyes that my heart melted. I knew it was ridiculous, but you were holding on to hope.
"Maybe." I said. "Maybe you're right. He would do that, wouldn't he?" I smiled sadly.
"I don't think he did it just because. He told me, before he went to Bart's that afternoon. He told me that he thought Moriarty might try to kill him. Maybe he made Sherlock kill himself or else he'd kill us?"
"Perhaps." I was trying hard to see from your perspective.
"He'd be clever enough, though. He'd be clever enough to make it look like he died without actually dying. He could do that." You smiled, suddenly filled with hope.
"He was definitely clever enough." I replied with a smile. "There's no doubting that."
The trip back to the flat was easier now, without the grey cloud that had been hanging around for the last week.

When we got back, you went to your flat immediately, to come up with more ideas about how he'd faked it, no doubt. I didn't have the heart to tell you.
I looked at my phone, at the message I had gotten earlier.

Unknown number: I'm not dead.

I gawked. It had to be some sort of a sick joke.
As I watched, another came in.

Don't tell her.

My thumb hovered over the delete button when another showed up.

I know you probably think this is a joke. But you know me. I don't do that sort of thing.

I shook my head. No. No it was impossible. I'd seen him jump, I'd seen him fall, I'd seen his body, I'd felt his wrist. No.
Again, I was about to delete it, but I was once again interrupted by an incoming text.

She can't know. Don't tell her, John.

I wasn't about to fall for this crap. I kicked myself inwardly. Don't use that term.
I decided it wouldn't hurt to reply.

Prove it. - JW

I didn't get a reply. I shook my head in disgust. I knew it. Some bloody prankster.
I put my phone back in my pocket and climbed the stairs, my mood ruined.
I was making tea to calm myself, when my phone buzzed again.

Sorry about that. There isn't very good connection in Germany. How would you like me to prove myself?

I laughed humourlessly.
Two can play this game.

Send me a bloody picture, I don't care! - JW

There was a short interval, then;

I can't, I'm not using a phone.

I laughed again. This was getting ridiculous.

Video conference - JW

I knew there wouldn't be an answer. No one could keep a prank going that long.
Still, my phone alerted me to another text. I looked at it, my irritation increasing.

I can try. Although like I said before, the connection isn't very good here.

I was amazed. They couldn't actually be doing this. Some nerve this idiot had.
To my astonishment, I was notified to an incoming video call.
It took some time to connect, and even then it was spotty.
The picture came in, then cut out immediately, but I had seen enough.
His hair, his face, his piercing eyes. That was all I needed.

Your call has been terminated

"Yeah, sure, whatever." I muttered at my phone. It buzzed in reply.

I'm sorry, it's not working. I don't know what else I can do, but I'm asking you, please, believe me.

I shook my head in wonder, my tea long forgotten.

Why did you do this, Sherlock?JW

I had to ask the unanswered question, now that I knew it was him.
He replied instantly.

To protect you and (F/N). He was going to kill you both.

I shook my head once again, still rather dazed. So you were right.

And why in God's name can't I tell her? She's heartbroken, Sherlock. - JW

I laid my head back and closed my eyes, my mind a confused mess.

Because he might still be out there.

I glanced at his latest reply. That's insane. He couldn't be.

He shot himself in the head. It's impossible. - JW

His reply was swift and to the point.

And I jumped from a building. Anything is possible.