LVII • 57

Camera.
That was the last thing I needed. I'd not been very careful though. Walking around London for several hours without thought of my garb?
What was I thinking?
I wasn't. I was thinking about you. And about revenge.
I had approximately two seconds to decide whether to confront the photographer or slip inside before he could take another.
I shut the door behind me. I couldn't go run after him. I'd only attract more attention to myself.
I locked the door and climbed the stairs.
John was already in his chair reading a book when I collapsed into my own.
"Christ, Sherlock! Where on earth have you been?" He said, slight frustration in his voice.
"Out." I responded.
"Yeah, I'd gathered." He muttered, rolling his eyes and returning his attention to the book.
"John." I spoke a moment later, surprising myself.
"Hmm?" He replied, without looking up.
"I'm going away for a few days." Before my year and a half away, I would never have bothered telling him about my cross country treks. If I was gone for several days, he'd assume I was following up a case and didn't miss me.
And yet, somehow I felt compelled to tell him this time. Perhaps my time away had taught me to appreciate friendship more- I'd certainly not had any friends when I was gone- or maybe I just didn't want him to worry.
Sherlock, I spent a year and a half worrying about you!
I hadn't known he'd worry, I'd thought letting him know I was alive was sufficient.
"What for?" He asked, looking up this time.
"A case." I replied, hoping he wouldn't ask too many details.
He considered this a moment. "Okay. Be careful please."
I was rather shocked, but I certainly wasn't going to complain. I'd expected him to pry for my destination or ask to come along.
It was better this way.
I wasn't too worried about Sebastian, he wasn't nearly as dangerous as Moriarty had been, but John would worry if he knew I was going to find him. I couldn't have him worrying because I needed to do this.

******

"Last minute flights to Dublin?" I inquired at the ticket counter at Heathrow. I wore a touristy costume and spoke in an American accent, hoping no one would recognise me.
"£160." The attendant sounded bored.
All the better for me. He'd seen so many passengers and tourists he couldn't care less to look me over.
I forked over the cash, ignoring the price.
"Flight 62. Leaves in half an hour." He said, handing me a ticket.

John's POV:

I knew what he was doing. Where he was going, not exactly. But I knew he was chasing down Sebastian. As much as I wanted revenge, I knew he'd take any risk to lock that bastard up, which was why I'd put a nearly undetectable tracking device in his phone while he'd been out.
I hoped he'd be smart, but I couldn't risk his arrogance allowing him to put himself in danger. I wasn't about to lose him again.
I checked my phone, where his location was being transmitted.
He was in Heathrow airport, which meant his destination was too far to take the tube, or else he felt his trip was urgent. If that was the case, he'd likely already made a conclusion.

Sherlock's POV:

I stared at the headrest of the seat in front of me. The window seats had all been procured by the time I'd arrived. I bit my lip, hoping my get up would be enough to keep my identity a secret. I couldn't run from the cameras here.

The flight was short, but yet again it felt far longer than it was.
I kept worrying I'd be recognised. The press was something I couldn't deal with at the moment.

John's POV:

Dublin.
He'd flown to Dublin. Was he actually going back to Sebastian's home town? It seemed ridiculous. Why would Sebastian ever go back there?
But perhaps that was the exact reason he would go back- no one thought it possible.
I knew I needed to trust Sherlock, but I had a sinking feeling that he'd be in more danger in Dublin than anywhere else. Sebastian knew the city better than Sherlock ever would. He had the upper hand and although he wasn't as dangerous as Moriarty had been, he was still a psychopathic murderer who had his sights on my best friend.

******

A/N: *cringe* I'm so sorry guys if that description of the purchase of a last minute flight ticket was completely off. I've never actually flown myself, so I was basing it entirely on things I've read.