~Chapter 27~

I become alert at the snap of a branch behind me. I sniff the air, and I know it's no one of threat. "Rose," I call out.

She peeks at me from behind a tree and sighs in relief, "Ty, please speak to me."

"I'm doing so right now. What do you want?"

She looks down, "Aaron is my mate. Ty, you can't hurt him. Please."

My eyebrows draw together and I shake my head. "Titus... he was your mate."

"I know. I knew he was since we were kids. He didn't want me. He-He used me, and he manipulated me, and he played me. Just like he manipulated you."

"What? What are you talking about, Rose?"

"Tyler, I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry. I should have told them and done something. I-I loved Titus. I couldn't turn him in. That's why I started talking to you. I couldn't have just-"

"You used me because Titus used you. Rose, I still don't understand everything you're telling me."

She begins to sob hysterically. "Titus was the reason your wolf was taken from you. I-I felt terrible about it and I wanted to be your friend because I couldn't just leave you hanging without a wolf-"

"And the accident was just an excuse for you to not be my friend. A shitty one." She continues to sob and covers her face with her hands. "What does Titus have to do with Henry?"

Suddenly, a smell strikes me. It smells strong and human. I begin to crave the taste of blood in my mouth because I know exactly who it belongs to. "Aaron," I growl.

Rose looks at me in complete shock. "No no no. You can't hurt him." She puts her hands on my chest but she's unsuccessful in stopping me. "No, Tyler!" She shouts as I begin to follow his scent. There's snapping sounds from behind me, and a furry creature jumps out in front of me. Rose growls at me in a threatening manner.

'I'm sorry,' is this last thing I hear before she pounces on me, and I black out.

~•••~

I wake up in the middle of woods. The smell of blood is strong around me, and My hands are dirt-covered. I groan and sit up. My shirt has dirt in the shape of paw prints on them, but I follow the scent of blood. 'Rose is dead.' Dick states.

I freeze and gulp, 'Who killed her?'

He says nothing and just nods his head a single time, and I realize I know exactly who's done this. The same one that killed my brother.

I don't have time to worry about Aaron. Rose is Nicole's best friend. 'Does she know?' I ask Dick.

'Yes.' I reach the clearing and I can smell her scent mixed with Rose's. I turn back around and run toward the pack house. 'She's not hurt. She's distraught and alone.' Dick reads off for me. I nod my head and run faster.

I reach the empty lot and start to run to the back of the house. I spot Nicole standing outside quietly. I slowly approach her and wrap my arms around her back. "You came back?" Her voice is soft, and broken. I can tell she's been crying.

"Not for long. I heard Rose died and I couldn't... L-Leave you." I can't stay for long. This is something I need to do. I won't let myself live knowing that my brother's death isn't avenged.

She faces me and begs, "Ty, don't do this. I lost Rose, and Titus, I can't lose you, either. I can't. Please."

I deny her plea, "I have to. He killed my brother, Nicki. He was the only family I had when my parents died, and now.... Now I have no one!"